Roland Park gets title shot with shootout win over NDP Reds to face St. Paul's for AIS A Division crown

Field hockey

November 08, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Over the past three seasons, nothing has come easy for Roland Park. And with one step away from the Association of Independent Schools A Division championship game, the Reds expected nothing less.

The No. 5 Reds endured a game-winning goal being taken away, two overtimes and two rounds of shootouts to take a 1-0 victory over visiting and No. 7 Notre Dame Prep yesterday in an AIS tournament semifinal game. Roland Park won the shootout, 3-2, after 60 scoreless minutes.

The Reds (12-1-3) will meet St. Paul's in their first title-game appearance since 1993, the final year in a five-year run that saw them either win or share the league title. Notre Dame Prep (8-2-4) was attempting to make the AIS final for the first time in school history.

In the sudden-death shootout after the first round ended in a 2-2 tie, Reds senior forward Alli Harper scored the game-winner and goalkeeper Gretchen Crook kick-saved a possible tying shot.

"Actually, I didn't have any butterflies," Harper said. "I was just focusing on what to do. I knew if I could lift the ball I would score."

The Reds had been a fixture in AIS championship game, making the title game 10 times in the tournament's 16-year history and every year from 1987-93. No one on this year's Roland Park team has ever advanced to the AIS final, but all remember last year's 5-6-3 record -- its worst in coach Debbie Bloodsworth's 15-year tenure.

"We were very, very fortunate today," Bloodsworth said. "I knew we were going to be pretty good, but I didn't know how they would jell. I guess you can say well."

The Reds seemingly won the game with 2: 20 left in the second overtime. Kristin Sudina golfed a shot that lofted past NDP goalkeeper Tina Morrissey. But the referees ruled the shot dangerously high, nullifying the goal.

Both Roland Park and NDP scored twice in five attempts in the first shootout round. In the first attempt of the sudden-death shootout, Harper scored on a high-arching shot into the right corner to put the Reds ahead, 2-1. The Pirates had their chance to tie, but Crook kicked away Lacey Aumiller's rolling shot.

Oldfields 2, Glenelg Country School 1: Oldfields (4-8-2) won in a sudden-death shootout to advance to the AIS B Division championship game at 2 p.m. tomorrow at St. Paul's School for Girls against Lutheran.

In the sudden-death shootout, both teams missed their first four attempts before Laura Clark scored for Glenelg Country (5-8-2). But defending B champ Oldfields' Alyssa Kierkegaard made her shot, too, sending the game into sudden death.

Kierkegaard took the first shot in sudden death and made it. Oldfields goalie Dealey Campbell then stopped Glenelg's Rachel Baron.

John Carroll 3, Lutheran 2: Jennifer Gray had two goals and Lindsay Tognocchi had two assists as John Carroll (5-7-2) built a 3-0 halftime lead and then held on to win their AIS B semifinal. Lisa Attansio had the other goal for Bel Air school. Jess Salter and Becky Hammen scored for Lutheran.

Pub Date: 11/08/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.