Whitfield, Key scoop up 2-0 win to reach 1A state final Score on 'risky' play helps turn back Hereford

Field hockey

November 07, 1996|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

The Francis Scott Key field hockey team runs eight different penalty corners.

A good number of the first seven weren't effective in yesterday's Class 1A state semifinal against No. 14 Hereford, so Eagles coach Mindi Wagner went with "the last option" midway through the second half.

It clicked -- and the Eagles would go on to win, 2-0.

Kelly Whitfield took a short tap from Jordan Torbeck and scooped it across to the far post for Christa Schroder, who found Stephanie Lawrence in front for the goal.

Lawrence's goal, her fifth of the playoffs and eighth this season, broke a scoreless tie at Goucher College.

The Eagles (10-4-1) return to Goucher at 2 p.m. Saturday to take on 14-1-1 Pocomoke -- a 2-0 winner over Rising Sun yesterday -- in the Class 1A state final.

Wagner called the penalty corner "risky" because some officials call the scoop a dangerous play with so many players around in the circle.

"Nothing else was working, so we gave it a try. It worked out great. Everyone was where they were supposed to be," she said.

In the 1993 state semifinals against Kent, the Eagles scored in a similar fashion with former standout Becky Tregoning providing the scoop. The Eagles won that game in sudden death penalty strokes and captured their last state title.

Wagner and the Eagles would love to see history repeat itself Saturday, and having Lawrence around can only help. The sophomore forward has provided Key with a number of clutch second-half goals this postseason, including one with 12 minutes left against Poolesville in a 1-0 win for the Class 1A West region crown.

Her goal yesterday came with 13: 32 left.

"Christa crossed it over, and I was at the right place at the right time," she said. "It's exciting. All of us really wanted this."

The first goal provided a spark for the Eagles and instead of sitting back on their lead, they came up with some of their best pressure of the game. It paid off with Marie Legg providing an important second goal four minutes later after taking a short pass from Torbeck along the left side.

Hereford, which was making its first state playoff appearance since 1985, often had the better of the play, but couldn't get anything past Key goalie Renee Riggs, who finished with seven saves.

"Both teams gave an excellent effort. It was a very aggressive game," Wagner said. "You have to give Hereford credit; they didn't give up. But our kids didn't let up either, and that second goal was pretty big."

Pub Date: 11/07/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.