Fallston gets it Wright 2nd time around Cougars avenge loss, 1-0, take 4A-3A North title

Girls soccer

November 07, 1996|By John W. Stewart | John W. Stewart,SUN STAFF

Some way, somehow, Fallston usually gets the job done when the need is greatest.

That was the case last night, as Jenny Kardash's goal, her second of the regionals, boosted Fallston to a 1-0 triumph over visiting C. Milton Wright in the Class 4A-3A North final.

For No. 12 Fallston (12-2-1), it was a sixth straight victory and a 12th win in its past 13 games. The only blemish was a 4-2 loss to Wright.

No. 4 Wright came in undefeated and left 11-1-1, a regional loser to the Cougars for the second straight year. The Mustangs, eliminated in the semifinals a year ago, have not advanced to the state level since 1990.

Fallston, with four successive regional titles, moves on to the state semifinals, where it will play Westminster at 5 p.m. Saturday at Severna Park High School. Westminster defeated Frederick, 3-1, last night.

"I think we were more ready this time [than in the first meeting]," said Fallston senior sweeper Jenn Cook. "The whole team did a better job defensively, better marking."

At least one coaching move paid dividends for the Cougars, too. Coach Nancy Ferguson pushed up Kardash, normally a back, in the second half, and, with 10 minutes remaining, she was at the far post when Cook sent a free kick from deep in her offensive end. The ball carried to where Kardash could put her head on it.

Wright coach Peter Griffiths said that the main difference from the first game was, "They limited our chances. For the last 30 minutes they beat us to the ball consistently."

Bel Air 2, N. Harford 1 (OT): Visiting Bel Air (11-5) outlasted North Harford (11-3-1) on penalty kicks, 5-2, to earn its first regional championship and a berth in the Class 3A-2A state semifinals Saturday.

Danielle Konschak and Debbie Coleman gave North Harford a 2-0 lead after three shooters, but Bel Air rallied to get even after six, then used goals by Heidi Buchanan, Jen Lamb and Kelly Krieger to clinch the decision with two shooters left in the first rotation.

The regulation goals came in the first half -- Renee Valle from Konschak for the Hawks with 12 minutes left and Nikki Hentz, who curled in a corner kick for Bel Air with four minutes to go.

Valle, who had forced Bobcats goalkeeper Colleen Keefe to make a diving stop with 40 seconds left in regulation, went out (not to return) with an ankle injury on a tripping call outside the penalty box with two seconds left. But the home side could not convert the free kick.

Hawks goalkeeper Jessica Colleta received a rib injury in a goal-mouth scramble midway through the first half, left for five minutes, but returned.

Pub Date: 11/07/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.