Severn comes up empty vs. Bryn Mawr Shootout loss drops Admirals from tourney

Field hockey

November 06, 1996|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

In bed the night before last, Bryn Mawr's Gailor Large visualized participating in a pressure-filled shootout. She dreamed of making the clutch shot to help win a playoff game.

Sometimes dreams do come true. After Bryn Mawr and Severn battled through overtime to a scoreless tie, Large scored to give the host Mawrtians a 3-2 shootout victory in an Association of Independent Schools A Division tournament quarterfinal yesterday.

Sixth-ranked Bryn Mawr (11-1-4) will play host to defending co-champion St. Paul's in a semifinal game at 3: 15 p.m. tomorrow. St. Paul's defeated co-champion Garrison Forest, 1-0, yesterday.

Defense helped Bryn Mawr survive the 50 minutes of regulation and 10 minutes of overtime. Severn (8-4-6) pressured the Mawrtians throughout the game and kept the ball in Bryn Mawr's end, but the Admirals could not score.

In fact, the Admirals could manage only four shots overall. The defense tightened when Severn came near the circle, rarely allowing a shot. Severn's best chance came on a Bess Freedlander shot that sailed just wide right with 12 minutes left.

"They just played an amazing game," Bryn Mawr coach Jeanette Budzik said of her team. "It's hard when a team is constantly going at you to maintain your composure, but we did it beautifully."

Large, Rachel Arnot, Robin Coleman and Kate Cole played good defense for the Mawrtians. Goalie Ellen Phillips needed to make only two saves, but had some good clears.

Bryn Mawr turned it up in the second five-minute overtime period. The Mawrtians had a brief flurry where they took four of their seven overall shots.

The Mawrtians continued to do well in the shootout. Kim Smith scored for a 1-0 lead. Jen Scott of Severn tied it by scoring in the second round.

Both teams missed in the third round before Jen Coughlin gave the Mawrtians a 2-1 lead with her fourth-round goal. But Kelley Mahan quickly tied it for Severn.

Next came the final round and Large. She raced in and drew out Severn goalie Molly Arey (five saves) before swerving to the right and unloading a shot into the left corner.

Severn had one final chance to tie, but Amy Galebach just missed to seal the Bryn Mawr victory.

"I was very nervous," said Large. "I've never done a shootout before. I'm ready for as many as we had to do."

Notre Dame Prep 1, St. Mary's 0: Emily Baggan scored 18 seconds into the second overtime to lift the No. 7 Pirates (8-1-4) over the host and No. 13 Saints (14-5-1) in an AIS A Division quarterfinal game. The Pirates travel to Roland Park for tomorrow's 3: 15 p.m. semifinal.

St. Paul's 1, Garrison Forest 0: Mills Hook scored off a free hit from Allison Polk-Williams as the No. 3 Gators (9-0-5) dethroned the two-time A Division champs and avenged a 1-0 loss in last year's tournament title game. Ali Hirsh made six saves for visiting No. 12 Garrison (6-4-5) which was outshot, 15-2, in the AIS A quarterfinal.

Roland Park 3, Friends 1: Alli Harper scored in each half and Elizabeth Ryan scored the eventual-game winner with 16: 18 remaining as the No. 5 Reds (11-1-3) defeated the visiting Quakers (6-5-6) in an AIS A tournament quarterfinal. Friends' only goal came on Edith Swains' penalty stroke.

Pub Date: 11/06/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.