Wilde Lake wins on goal with 1: 20 to go Shapiro's score ousts Hammond in region final

Boys soccer

November 06, 1996|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Wilde Lake's Matt Shapiro is not accustomed to being the center of attention following a soccer game. But he was last night.

Shapiro, a junior outside fullback, scored from 23 yards out with 1: 20 left to play, giving his Wildecats a 1-0 victory over Hammond and the Class 2A South Region championship last night at Howard.

For 13th-ranked Wilde Lake (10-4-1), which has won five straight games, it was their 10th regional title. They have won six state titles. The Wildecats lost in the Class 2A state finals last season to Patapsco.

"I never had a game-winning goal before -- ever," Shapiro said.

Shapiro (four goals, four assists) made a run down the left side and Robbie Curtis flicked it to him. Shapiro settled the ball and then kicked it into the lower left corner.

"I got a guy off balance and struck it, trying to keep it low because their goalkeeper was quick and was doing well on high balls. I think he got screened by one of his players. It went to the outside of his sweeper."

Ironically, Shapiro had been back in the game for only three minutes, after missing 10 minutes with leg cramps.

"My calves cramped because I had the tape on my shin-guards too tight," Shapiro said.

Wilde Lake coach Matt Nesbitt said: "We allow anyone to come up and try to score, even the goalkeeper, as long as he gets back."

Wilde Lake, which could not capitalize on its four best scoring opportunities because of errant shooting, outshot Hammond, 22-8. The Wildecats stepped up the pace late in the game, winning 50-50 balls repeatedly and counterattacking furiously against the Bears, who have never won a regional title. They hadn't played in a regional final since 1984.

Hammond sweeper Kamil Quander broke up several Wilde Lake attacks, using his speed to cut off balls.

"Kamil was great in the back, and Hammond hustled and played well," Wilde Lake's Nesbitt said. "We ran the ball, knocked it long and forced them to move around. I think we tired them out at the end."

Hammond (8-8) nearly scored in the final minute, but Quander's hard shot was saved by Nick Parypinski at the left post.

"It's not our style to pack in the defense, but I did put an extra defender back. We didn't sort out our marking responsibility, and they nearly nipped one in there," Nesbitt said.

Shapiro was not surprised the game was so close.

"We knew Hammond would come out tough, because we only beat them 2-1 earlier this season," Shapiro said.

Pub Date: 11/06/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.