River Hill takes region championship going away First-year school rips Key, 5-0, in 1A South

Boys soccer

November 06, 1996|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,SUN STAFF

Youth, talent and quickness -- all three were on display yesterday afternoon at River Hill High in Clarksville.

River Hill's Hawks scored four times in the second half against visiting Francis Scott Key to come away with a 5-0 victory and the Class 1A South Region championship in the school's first year.

With 15 freshmen and no seniors on the roster, it's hard to imagine that there had been high expectations for the Hawks before their initial season got under way. But that was the case, because a good part of the team has played years of high-quality club ball.

The Hawks (13-3) haven't disappointed.

"It's a great bunch of kids. It's been a tiring year. So much was expected from us before we even played," said River Hill coach Bill Stara. "We're extremely young, talented and quick with the ball."

Francis Scott Key (4-9-2) closed out an injury-filled season playing its best ball in the region playoffs -- beating Boonsboro and Hereford -- before running into River Hill.

The Eagles did all they could to stay with the Hawks, playing them on even terms in the first half, but their inability to finish in those first 40 minutes of the game proved costly.

Clif Jackson gave the Hawks a 1-0 lead 12 minutes into the game when he found the left corner off a pass from freshman Adom Crew, who sent a short cross from the right wide as the ball was headed out of bounds.

"They were playing us to the middle, so we felt we needed to get down deep and around the corners," Crew said. "I took the long throw, and it came right back to me. I saw a bunch of people in front so I hustled over there and crossed it."

Jackson was right where he needed to be to score his second goal of the season.

"Adom dropped it back and I just put it in," he said. "A lot of people didn't expect us to get this far with this being a first-year team with no seniors, but we've showed we can play."

Most of the Eagles' opportunities started with long crosses from Matt Yinger, who found plenty of room along the left side. But Key couldn't take advantage. River Hill keeper Bradford Breen did a good job coming out to cut off a lot of the dangerous crosses.

Randal Brown gave the Hawks a 2-0 lead early in the second half, taking a shot from the left side that Key goalkeeper Andy Hummel couldn't stop from going under him.

Crew made it 3-0 with some nifty work from in close along the right side, cutting back to get past a defender before dribbling in alone against Hummel.

The Hawks got late goals from Scott Buescher and DeForest McDuff after both teams went to their benches.

Pub Date: 11/06/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.