St. Mary's follows plan, slips past St. Paul's, 1-0 Saints execute set play to move to MIAA B final

Boys soccer

November 06, 1996|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

St. Paul's was "grounded" by St. Mary's, 1-0, in yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference semifinal in Annapolis.

Played on Germantown Elementary's all-dirt field, the victory put the Saints in Saturday's 2: 30 p.m. championship game at UMBC vs. Boys' Latin.

The Saints and Lakers, who advanced with a 2-0 victory over Friends yesterday, split two games during the regular season. St. Mary's overcame a 3-0, first-half deficit in the initial meeting to win by 4-3 before Boys' Latin took the second game, 4-0.

Yesterday, Will Lahneman's ground shot in the first minute of the second half on a set play stood up for the Saints (12-5-1, 11-3-1). The goal originated off a direct kick by Kevin Corradini.

Corradini lofted a crossing pass that junior Adam Shiley headed through the middle and onto the ground. The ball skipped toward the net with Lahneman and Justin Wells zooming in on each side of Crusaders goalkeeper Adair Newhall, who didn't have a chance.

"Will beat me to it and toe-poked it in," Wells said. "I knew one of us was going to put it in. Their goalie stuck his leg out, and it actually hit his toe and the bar before going in."

The crucial play, if not the shot itself, was something that coach Jamie McNealey's Saints take great pains to practice every day.

"We take a lot of time to go over things like that, and for the kids' mentality of being in the box, heading into the goal and keeping it on the ground, it was a tough one for them to give up," said McNealey.

"Will [Lahneman] doesn't get a lot of recognition," the coach continued, "but most of his career goals have been in big games where we were tied or down by one."

St. Mary's played St. Paul's (10-7-1, 8-6-1) to a 2-2 double-overtime tie in last year's title game, and the two teams played to a 0-0 deadlock in their first meeting this season. St. Paul's took the second game, 1-0.

"For the most part, it was a very even game, and we had our chances but struggled a bit capitalizing on them," said St. Paul's coach Howard Schindler, whose team had a couple of golden opportunities in the first half on corner kicks.

A diving swat by Matt Miletich prevented one St. Paul's goal. Later, a booming liner from about 30 yards out by Alex Poole sailed over the cross bar.

"Soccer is a funny sport," said Schindler. "You can do everything right and still not put the ball in the goal. We just couldn't capitalize."

In its 11 years of boys soccer, St. Mary's has never won a league zTC title outright.

"This win today was very important because our morale was raised immensely, and I think we're in good shape for the championship game," said Lahneman.

Boys' Latin 2, Friends 0: Matt Thanner and David Ulrich each scored second-half goals to lead the Lakers (13-4-1) to victory in an MIAA B Conference semifinal.

Calvert Hall 1, Spalding 0: Brett Wagner's goal, with an assist from Tim Gober, at 25: 20 of the first half was enough to lift the host Cardinals (20-0-1) over the Cavaliers in an MIAA A Conference semifinal game. Spalding goalkeeper Reb Beatty faced 12 shots and made nine saves.

Curley 2, McDonogh 0: Giuliano Celenza scored both goals unassisted as No. 3 Curley (18-2) topped No. 11 and visiting McDonogh (10-6-1) in an MIAA A Conference tournament semifinal game. It's the Friars' fifth straight trip to the championship game.

Pub Date: 11/06/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.