The two-alarm fire that killed a Pasadena man Monday was started by a cigarette he was smoking in bed, county fire officials said yesterday.
The body of Charles Mitchell Smith Sr., 71, was found after firefighters spent an hour battling a blaze that began just after 2: 30 a.m. at Smith's home in the 2000 block of Poplar Ridge Road.
His wife, Grace Smith, also 71, and their grandson, Joseph Smith Jr., 6, escaped the blaze and called firefighters. They were treated at North Arundel Hospital for smoke inhalation and released.
Volunteer firefighter Michael J. Ashburn of the Riviera Beach station also was taken to North Arundel with a rapid pulse and was released.
Fire officials estimated damage at $170,000.
Pub Date: 10/09/96