Maryland knocks off No. 1 Duke in soccer Speedy Bent leads 4-1 victory for Terps

September 30, 1996|By Brant James | Brant James,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

COLLEGE PARK -- Young talent made Duke the No. 1-ranked men's soccer team in the country, but youthful inexperience might have taken the top spot away.

Led by two goals from senior forward Shane Dougherty and two assists from freshman midfielder Jason Bent, unranked Maryland survived a 51-minute man-disadvantage to upset previously unbeaten Duke, 4-1, yesterday at Ludwig Field.

Maryland, which began the season ranked fourth in Soccer America's preseason poll, but fell from the rankings after a 1-1 tie with North Carolina State on Sept. 22, took a lead 2 minutes, 17 seconds into the game. Duke, which started three freshmen and four sophomores, did not regroup after the quick score, and began concentrating more on hard tackles than marking and passes.

"We came out very mentally prepared," Maryland coach Sasho Cirovski said. "We got some quick goals and got some confidence. And any time you play that long a man down against a team like Duke and win, you're very happy."

Cirovski said the prospect of moving back into the rankings was not on his mind.

"The only poll we care about is the last one," he said. "We'll use this win as something to build on, and that's all, because some games there's not been so much to build on."

Maryland (4-2-2, 1-0-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) took a 1-0 lead after midfielder Steve Armas was pushed down to set up a free kick from the right corner. Defender Leo Cullen faked a restart kick and toed the ball to sophomore midfielder Keith Beach, who snapped a shot past goaltender John Morton to the far left post.

Morton, who allowed all four scores, had surrendered one goal in six games before Sunday.

Bent's speed began bothering the Blue Devils (6-1, 1-1) soon after, turning loose balls at midfield into quick upfield rushes. His pesky presence near the goal led to a penalty kick and the second Terps score, at 27: 25 of the first half. Freshman defender Miles Romm pushed Bent in the back on a throw-in. Dougherty, a Fallston High alum, faked Morton quickly to the right on the penalty kick and shot to the left.

Maryland's first two goals were part of what Duke head coach Johnnie Renton called a "horrible exhibition of soccer for the ACC," a veiled criticism of the officiating.

"We go down 2-0 on goals that were not any fault of our own," he said. "The game was taken from the players. . . . I can't say that I saw Maryland or Duke play today."

Twenty-five fouls were committed in the game, 13 by Duke.

Bent continued to stoke the tempo over the next 10 minutes, missing goals twice only because of quick-handed saves by Morton. Then, at 14: 06 of the first half, he threaded through the penalty box and pushed a pass ahead to Dougherty 16 yards out. Dougherty controlled Bent's pass, whirled sharply to his left to lose defender Michael Dunne on the soggy turf, and rolled a shot into the left side of the goal for a 3-0 lead.

Maryland went into a defensive mode after the third score, and the Blue Devils mounted their best sustained offensive efforts of the game. Terps goaltender Russell Payne stopped Duke's four best shots with close-in saves in the final seven minutes of the first half, and was assisted on one when R. T. Moore chipped a loose ball in the box over the goal.

With 6: 12 left in the first half, defender Mike Ilwain was red-carded for hard tackling. The Terps packed inside the penalty box through the first 20 minutes of the second half, producing few breakouts for the offense.

Duke, which outshot Maryland, 17-14, finally took advantage with lTC 12: 19 left in the game, when Payne muffed a high chip and was out of position for sophomore forward Josh Henderson's scoring shot from eight yards.

Bent, out of the game when Henderson scored, re-entered immediately, and used his rested legs to set up the final Maryland score with 8: 16 remaining in the game.

Bent controlled a loose ball along the left side, blasted past two midfielders and Romm at midfield, then flicked a cross-field pass that sophomore forward Judah Cooks banged past Morton for a 4-1 lead.

"That's my game," Bent said. "Attack all the time, make something happen."

Pub Date: 9/30/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.