Apartment complex fire blamed on candle 20 families displaced

September 30, 1996|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A lighted candle that ignited a curtain was blamed for a three-alarm fire Saturday night in a Glen Burnie apartment complex that displaced 20 families and caused an estimated $500,000 damage, a spokesman for the county Fire Department said yesterday.

No injuries were reported.

Capt. Robert Kornmann, the spokesman, said the flame from the candle set a curtain on fire in a second-floor bedroom in a unit at Heritage Hill Regency Club Apartments in the 6300 block of Smithy Square.

He said the fire quickly spread to 19 other apartments in five buildings, destroying one apartment building and causing severe fire and smoke damage to four others.

Kornmann said the fire spread quickly because of the buildings' wood frame construction and the lack of a sprinkler system.

He said the buildings were constructed before a law requiring sprinklers.

The fire, reported at 5: 28 p.m., went to three alarms by 5: 49 p.m.

More than 50 firefighters from nine fire companies brought the fire under control at 6: 15 p.m.

The American Red Cross and apartment complex officials helped the displaced families find temporary shelter.

Pub Date: 9/30/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.