Unranked Roland Park ties No. 11 McDonogh Reds follow upset of top-ranked St. Mary's with 1-1 draw vs. Eagles

Field Hockey

September 27, 1996|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

This week doesn't exactly mark a return to the glory days when Roland Park ran up five straight Association of Independent Schools field hockey titles, but it's a good start.

The unranked Reds began with an upset of No. 1 St. Mary's on Tuesday and then tied No. 11 McDonogh, 1-1, in an AIS A Division Homer League game yesterday.

For the second time, the Reds (2-0-1 overall, 1-0-1 league) had to come from behind.

McDonogh (3-0-3, 1-0-1) took the early lead yesterday when Ashlee Silver fed Sara Diedrich off a corner hit from Sara Herman.

That lead lasted less than two minutes. With 7: 29 left in the first half, Carey Scanlon tied it on a feed from Elizabeth Ryan.

Scanlon and Ryan already have combined for seven goals in three games, and that's big news for the Reds. They hadn't been able to generate much offense since winning a fifth straight A Division title in 1993.

"I'm not really surprised that things have changed," said Reds coach Debbie Bloodsworth. "I thought that we had more scoring potential this year."

The turnaround began in the season opener, when the Reds scored three goals in the last five minutes to beat A Division newcomer Spalding, 4-2.

Next came the 3-0 upset at St. Mary's powered by two goals from Ryan and one from Scanlon. Erin McInnes had two assists and goalie Gretchen Crook made 13 saves.

Still, the Reds veterans remained cautious.

"It was definitely a big win, but we tried not to let that get to us and just concentrate on this [McDonogh] game," said senior defender Reagan Raneri. "All these teams are good, and with field hockey, you never know."

The Eagles know that feeling with three ties already, including Tuesday's 0-0 standoff with No. 4 Bryn Mawr.

Yesterday, keeper Alison Friedman saved the Eagles with two of her seven stops in the opening minutes.

On the other hand, McDonogh's offense had some of its best chances as time slipped away. Kristen Lyall narrowly missed one shot and with 25 seconds to go, Reds defender Emily Lough stopped Herman from shooting off Kristen Doub's corner pass.

"We've been mostly a second-half team," said midfielder Lyall. "Now, we need to buckle down and get out there and get intense right away rather than waiting to see what the other team is like."

Pub Date: 9/27/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.