No. 2 St. Mary's scores another shutout, 2-0 Win over J. Carroll extends scoreless streak to 4 games

September 21, 1996|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

St. Mary's defense has been impossible to crack this season.

The second-ranked Saints chalked up their fourth straight shutout with a 2-0 victory over No. 9 John Carroll yesterday in a Catholic League A Division game at Weems Whelan Memorial Field in Annapolis.

Give credit to the veteran defensive unit of Tina Fedarcyk, Kellie Thompson, Katie Kilby, Marianne Gioffre, Kristin Hagert and keeper Jen Corradini. Before this game, they already had stifled No. 8 McDonogh, No. 15 Wilde Lake and Spalding.

"It's great to have that many shutouts this far into the season," said sweeper Fedarcyk. "We have a lot of communication, and we always go hard."

The Saints (4-0 overall, 3-0 league) needed all their defensive tricks -- and a little luck -- yesterday to hold off a stubborn John Carroll side.

The Patriots (2-2, 1-2) pressed ahead time and again with great speed and smart passing.

Their first run was one of their best. Laura Tiburzi took a ball chipped from Meredith Gunning at midfield and beat Fedarcyk on the right wing. Tiburzi drew Corradini to the near post and fired toward the far corner, missing the net by inches.

The Patriots matched the Saints' offensive output with 12 shots, but only about three had a real chance to beat Corradini (six saves).

"We're having trouble finishing," said John Carroll coach John Hughes.

"You can see that we're playing good soccer. We've got the team flow, and we're putting the ball where we want it. We're just looking for someone to step up and be a finisher, but you have to give credit to St. Mary's. They made us pay when we

made mistakes."

The big mistake came in the 55th minute when a Patriots pushing foul gave Hagert a direct kick 30 yards directly in front of the goal. Her shot slipped under the crossbar right over the head of Patriots keeper Jenny Todd (two saves) .

Fifteen minutes later, the Saints added an insurance goal when Maria Smear found Erin Coppedge open in front of the cage for a 2-0 lead.

"Maria dribbled up the sideline and took the goalie off of her line," said Hagert. "Erin was right in the center screaming at her, xTC so she just gave it a little tap, and Erin pushed it in. It was a great goal. We needed that one real bad."

Pub Date: 9/21/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.