Falcons rally, edge Meade, 2-1 Two sophomores score goals for tough defending, 11th-ranked Severna Park

September 18, 1996|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Sophomores Brandon Korink and Jon King scored the goals as young, talented No. 11 Severna Park edged Meade, 2-1, at George Roberts Field last night.

Korink scored in the first half to tie the game and King put in the game-winner with just over 26 minutes to play. The pair of goals were all the Falcons (2-1) needed, because their backs were brilliant on defense in preventing the Mustangs (2-2) from running and spreading things out.

"We panicked and played balls up the middle instead of where we wanted to," said Meade coach Mike Dey. "They played balls where they wanted, and they were more composed."

That may seem surprising because Severna Park has only six seniors and is dominated by sophomores (7) and juniors (6).

The Falcons started seven underclassmen last night, but the composure is there because of the varsity experience many of them got a year ago.

Sophomore backs Sean McGarry and Bernie Edwards blended nicely with junior back Reid Shaklee and two seniors, All-County back Jimmy Traylor and midfielder Jason Polm. That crew stymied the run-and-gun style of visiting Meade, which managed only four shots on goal.

"They play super together. Three of them played together on a state-cup team, and they have been playing together for a number of years," said Falcons coach Don Gregg. "Maybe I should have put them in the back last year."

Meade's only goal came in the first seven minutes off the Falcons' only defensive breakdown, other than a near game-tying opportunity with 1: 17 to play.

James Marymee gave Meade a 1-0 lead on a cross from sophomore Eric Nkansah, but the Mustangs didn't get close again until the waning moments, when theyfailed to convert a one-on-one as the shot veered wide-right and out.

"They're [Meade] a kick-and-run team, and we had too much pressure on them back there," said co-captain Traylor. "I thought our backs played real good, and our defense and midfield are really coming together."

Korink's goal came within 30 seconds of Marymee's to tie the game.

King's decisive shot was a piece of cake at 26: 26 of the second half. Senior Kenny Macko unloaded a liner from about 20 yards, but Meade senior goalkeeper Matt Nein leaped to block it.

Nein's only problem was that the ball went straight up as he went down, and King only had to touch it into the net.

"We're starting to jell now," said Gregg.

Pub Date: 9/18/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.