Baltimore pair charged in slaying Police say supervisor at restaurant was shot in robbery attempt

Another man sought

Employee, boyfriend accused of murder in Glen Burnie shooting

September 17, 1996|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore couple were charged yesterday in the shooting death of a Glen Burnie restaurant supervisor Sunday that police say occurred during a botched robbery attempt at the business.

Shelton Lamont Wood, 22, of the 2400 block of E. Oliver St. and restaurant employee Tia Moique Evans, 18, of the 3000 block of Southwind Ave. were charged with murder.

Betty Lou Johnson, 48, of the 7900 block of Telegraph Road, died on the kitchen floor of the Old Country Buffet. She had been shot once in the chest. It was the ninth homicide this year in Anne Arundel.

Police said the incident began at the restaurant at Ritchie Highway and Ordnance Road just after 9 p.m. when the restaurant was closed. An employee let two men in.

Police are not sure what happened next, but they say a robbery went sour, and one of the men shot Johnson in the chest as she was turning off the heat lamps in the kitchen.

The men ran out of the kitchen and sped off in a black Lexus. Two employees in the kitchen with Johnson ran out unharmed, police said. The bandits did not get any money.

Police questioned employees who were in the kitchen and dining areas of the restaurant. When they continued to question Evans, she confessed to being a part of the scheme, police said.

Officers said Evans then implicated Wood, her boyfriend, who was later arrested.

Police said Evans let the men in and that Wood was the one who fired the fatal shot.

Police have identified the other man involved in the shooting, and officers were looking for him last night, police said.

Employees at Old Country Buffet said they remembered Johnson, a mother of two and grandmother of four, as a hard-working and well-liked employee. She spent most of her shift serving customers on the buffet line, they said.

"She was one of the most dedicated employees the restaurant had," said Steven Molen, a director of operations for the company. "We value her as a part of our family. It's a loss."

Molen said witnesses at the restaurant told him there was no confrontation between Johnson and the gunman, and he did not demand money.

The restaurant will be closed until Friday, officials said.

Pub Date: 9/17/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.