Karl W. Miller, 77, contracting firm presidentKarl W...

September 10, 1996

Karl W. Miller, 77, contracting firm president

Karl W. Miller, retired president of the Morrow Brothers Inc. contracting firm, died Wednesday of lung cancer at his Catonsville home. He was 77.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Miller was a graduate of Polytechnic Institute and the University of Baltimore, and took engineering courses at the Johns Hopkins University and the University of Virginia.

From 1930 until his military induction in 1944, he worked for what was then the Glenn L. Martin Co. Assigned to the Army Air Forces, he was stationed at Langley Field, Va., where he worked in the engineering department of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics -- forerunner of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

After his discharge in 1945, he joined Morrow Brothers as a field engineer and held various positions before becoming president in 1970. The company, founded in 1890, built schools, churches and commercial buildings in the Baltimore area before it was dissolved in 1982, the year that Mr. Miller retired.

He was an active member of the Greater West Hills Community Association and an officer at Second English Lutheran Church, where services were held yesterday. He is survived by his wife of 54 years, the former Beverly J. Frank; three sons, Karl W. Miller Jr. of Bethesda, Brian F. Miller of Washington and Blair J. Miller of Forest Hill; a daughter, Meredith A. Hutcheson of Springfield, Va.; a brother, Wesson H. Miller of Reisterstown; and six grandchildren. Helen Land Henry, a retired Sunday Sun feature writer, died Aug. 31 of respiratory failure at College Manor in Lutherville. She was 91.

The former Helen Cohen was married in 1941 to Frank Henry, also a feature writer for The Sunday Sun, who died in 1962.

Mrs. Henry was known for years as the writer of the Sunday Sun Magazine's "House of the Week" feature and also wrote widely on residential architecture and music. She retired after an 18-year career with the newspaper in 1980.

She is survived by two sisters, Elsie Cohen Karesh and Mary Louise Cohen, both of Clemmons, N.C.

Private services were held Sept. 3 at the Raleigh Hebrew Cemetery in North Carolina. Anthony T. D'Alesandro, a retired pharmaceutical executive, died Sunday at Good Samaritan Hospital of heart failure. He was 85.

Mr. D'Alesandro, brother of the late Baltimore Mayor Thomas J. D'Alesandro Jr., was educated in parochial schools and began working as a stock and delivery boy at 14 for the Henry B. Gilpin Co. He rose through the company, and at his retirement in 1986 was budget and financial chief.

The former Northeast Baltimore resident was born and raised in Little Italy. He was an altar boy at St. Leo's Roman Catholic Church, an usher for 25 years at the Shrine of the Little Flower Roman Catholic Church, and a communicant of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church, Belair Road and Willow Avenue, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Mr. D'Alesandro, who lived for the past several years with a daughter on Walther Boulevard, was considered a "keen poker player" by family members.

"At his death, he was holding a Rosary in one hand and a royal straight flush in the other," said a grandson, Joseph Glos of Baltimore.

Mr. D'Alesandro was married in 1936 to the former Carmelina Caminiti, who died in 1975.

He is survived by two daughters, Patricia Glos and Joanne Tucker, both of Baltimore; a sister, Jesse Granese of Baltimore; two grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.

Jane Salter Smith, 94, state employee

Jane Salter Smith, a Baltimore native and longtime state unemployment office worker, died Friday of heart failure while visiting relatives in Hemmett, Calif. The Guilford resident was 94.

Mrs. Smith began work with the state unemployment office in 1930, assigned to the unit that helped disabled people find jobs. She retired in 1965.

The former Jane Salter was a graduate of the old Mount St. Agnes High School and what is now Towson State University. She was married in the 1920s to Raymond Howard Penn, who died in 1941. She married Dr. B. Holly Smith in 1948; he died in 1956.

A memorial service was planned for 10 a.m. Thursday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St.

She is survived by a son, Raymond Howard Penn Jr. of Baltimore; a daughter, Theodora Strehler of Los Angeles; six grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.

Raymond L. LeCates Sr., 81, railroad conductor

Raymond L. LeCates Sr., a retired railroad conductor, died Sept. 1 of heart failure at a nursing home in Worcester County. He was 81.

Mr. LeCates was born in Delmar, the son of a Pennsylvania Railroad locomotive engineer. He began his career as a brakeman on the Pennsy's Delmarva Division and later worked briefly for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

After returning to the Pennsy and working as a freight conductor, he was promoted to passenger conductor and was assigned to the railroad's Washington-New York trains. He retired in the mid-1970s.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.