Havre de Grace gets $10 million in 10-year plan to draw tourists

September 08, 1996|By Beth Reinhard | Beth Reinhard,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Havre de Grace -- the quaint, Harford County waterfront town whose name means "harbor of grace" -- is seeking a bigger share of Maryland's estimated $5 billion tourism industry.

Hoping to capitalize on the town's history, scenery and proximity to Baltimore and Philadelphia, officials have launched an ambitious 10-year, $10 million plan to snare even more visitors than the 100,000 who already come to Havre de Grace each year.

Havre de Grace is a town of 10,200 founded in 1782, whose restored Victorian mansions and modest cottages overlook the Susquehanna River and the Chesapeake Bay. Union Avenue, the main street, sports antiques stores, specialty shops and bed-and-breakfast inns.

In addition to roughly $2 million in street and lighting improvements, the planned "heritage/water corridor" will include:

Restoring the 19th-century O'Neill House, which was owned by the first keeper of the town's historic Concord Point Lighthouse, one of the nation's oldest.

Building a $1 million maritime museum.

Extending the Promenade, the wooden boardwalk that faces the Susquehanna and the bay.

Obtaining a $25,000 state grant to study waterfront sites for a hotel and conference center.

Adding an elevator to the Decoy Museum and expanding it to include a workshop.

Pub Date: 9/08/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.