Man charged with assaulting 2 officers $1 million bond set

related charges filed

August 21, 1996|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A man is being held on $1 million bond in the county detention center on charges of assault with intent to murder two Anne Arundel police officers during a struggle at a Jessup motel.

Cleveland Ray Leak, 35, of no fixed address, also is charged with two counts each of resisting arrest, obstruction of justice, hindering a police investigation, battery and assault. In addition, he was charged with one count of robbery.

Officers Debra Arduini and Christopher Conner were questioning Leak Sunday evening about an alleged robbery when Leak attacked the officers and grabbed Conner's handgun, police said.

During the scuffle, Leak dropped the gun and someone kicked it away, police said. The officers subdued him with pepper spray and handcuffs, police said.

The incident began about 8: 30 p.m., when the officers were called to the Parkway Inn at Route 175 and the Baltimore Washington Parkway by Curtis Jenkins of Columbia, who complained that he and his girlfriend had been bilked of $450.

The couple told police they got a call Saturday from Leak, who said he needed the money to help a mutual friend.

The couple agreed to meet Leak in Howard County, where they gave him and another man the money. Jenkins told police he and his girlfriend became suspicious, so they wrote down the license tag number of the truck the men were driving.

When they talked to the mutual friend the next day, Jenkins and his girlfriend learned he never got the cash.

They used their telephone caller ID to trace the Saturday call to the Jessup hotel, and then went there to find Leak and his friend.

The couple saw the same pickup truck parked in front of one of the rooms and called Anne Arundel police.

Officers Arduini and Conner went to the hotel room to talk with one of the suspects. As they were leaving the room, Jenkins's girlfriend saw Leak walking down the sidewalk toward them, police said.

"The woman yelled 'that's him' and he ran," said Arduini. The officers chased the man to another room. When they got no answer at the door, they used a pass key to enter.

Someone behind the door tried to push it shut again and the officers threatened to break it down.

Finally, the door opened about a foot and Arduini forced her way in.

Leak jumped from behind the door, confronted the officer and began yelling, police said.

When Arduini told the man she wanted to talk to him outside he slapped her arm, police said. She then told him he was under arrest and he ran outside. Arduini chased and caught him, but the man then began struggling with Officer Conner, police said.

During that struggle, Leak unsnapped Conner's holster and pulled the gun out, police said.

"It definitely could have been a shoot situation, but I chose not to," Arduini said. "It was a strange situation. We only wanted to talk to the guy to identify him. We didn't know why he was running."

Both officers suffered cuts and bruises, but were not hospitalized.

County police did not arrest Leak's companion. Howard County police also are investigating the incident.

Pub Date: 8/21/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.