Berthe B. Faust, 94, championed French cultureBerthe B...

July 24, 1996

Berthe B. Faust, 94, championed French culture

Berthe B. Faust, a homemaker who proudly celebrated her French heritage, died Saturday of cancer at Holly Hill Manor Nursing Home in Towson. She was 94 and a longtime resident of Northeast Baltimore.

"She loved singing French songs, and her favorites were 'La Vie En Rose' and 'The Marseillaise,' " said a daughter, Rosette G. Frew of Towson. Her mother also prepared French cuisine.

The former Berthe Blistin was born near Paris, and after the Germans burned her village during World War I, she moved to Vatan, France. It was during this time that she met her husband, Clifford E. Faust, an Army Air Corps officer.

"They got engaged before he left France, and when she arrived at Ellis Island in 1920, they got married right there," said Mrs. Frew.

Mr. Faust died in 1977, and a son, Raymond C. Faust of Lutherville, died in 1995.

Services were held yesterday. She is survived by two other daughters, Loretta B. Malik of Baltimore and Deanna E. McShane of Belle Vernon, Pa.; nine grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Julia Sparks Holmes, 84, Monkton churchwoman

Julia Sparks Holmes, a churchwoman and lifelong Monkton resident, died at home Sunday of leukemia. She was 84.

She was raised in the historic district of My Lady's Manor in Monkton and was a descendant of the Sparks and Hutchins families, two of the original families that settled in the area in 1745.

The former Julia Sparks graduated from Towson High School in 1929 and married Arthur Bond Holmes in 1934.

A member at St. James Episcopal Church in Monkton, she was the first woman elected to the church vestry and was a member of the Women's and Altar guilds.

She never missed the Point-to-Point steeplechase races each spring and enjoyed reading and playing bridge, and belonging to the Manor Book Club and several bridge clubs.

"She was a true Manor lady, always gracious and charming," said Polly Mowell, a longtime friend.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. James Church, 3100 Monkton Road.

Survivors include her husband; two daughters, Bonney Holmes Grote of Key West, Fla., and Julia Holmes Boone of Cockeysville; and two grandchildren.

William A. Moulden, 80, Martin Marietta supervisor

William A. Moulden, a retired Martin Marietta supervisor and an avid baseball fan who worked in the Orioles' public relations department, died Tuesday of cancer at his Timonium home. He was 80.

He joined the old Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River in 1941 and retired as a production supervisor in 1971. That year, he joined the Baltimore County Department of Central Services, retiring in 1982.

He and his wife, the former Stephania B. Dec,whom he married hTC in 1947, worked in the Orioles' public relations and ticket offices.

The native of Southeast Baltimore was a 1934 graduate of Polytechnic Institute.

He was a member of Tall Cedars of Lebanon of North America Composite Lodge No. 212 and the Tall Cedars of Lebanon Baltimore Forest No. 45, where he recently marked 50 years of membership.

Services will be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow at Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

Other survivors include two sons, Robert M. Moulden of Cockeysville and William J. Moulden of Stevensville; a daughter, Frances M. Minakowski of Cockeysville; a sister, Elizabeth Ward of Parkville; and two grandchildren. Charlotte L. Bunch, a soprano who sang in church choirs, died June 12 of complications from a cardiovascular disorder at her home in Southwest Baltimore. She was 34.

At the time of her death, she was enrolled at Howard University. She graduated from Southwestern High School in 1979 and attended Morgan State University. She also studied at the Peabody Conservatory of Music and Baltimore City Community College.

She is survived by her mother, Pencie L. Bunch of Baltimore; two brothers, Valdez and Benjamin Bunch of Baltimore; two sisters, Yualina Bonner of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Lucille Barnes of Parkridge, N.J.; and two uncles and an aunt. Coranzo J. Wells, a retired Bethlehem Steel Corp. employee, died Friday of undisclosed causes at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Northwest Baltimore resident was 73.

The native of Wetumpka, Ala., moved to Baltimore in 1948 after three years of military service. He went to work at Bethlehem Steel in Sparrows Point in 1950 and retired in 1986.

Services will be held at 7 p.m. today at Friendship Baptist Church, 6000 Loch Raven Blvd.

Survivors include his wife, the former Verma Barr, whom he married in 1960; three sons, Randy and Terry Wells of Baltimore, and Gregory Wells of New York City; a sister, Edna Johnson of Chicago; and three grandchildren.

Charles Harlan Cursey, 76, house painter

Charles Harlan Cursey, a retired house painter, died Saturday after a heart attack at his home in Port Deposit. He was 76.

He retired in 1982 after 37 years as a house painter, working for various Baltimore area interior decorators.

The Pikesville native was a member of Moose lodges in Reisterstown and Baltimore.

Plans for services are incomplete. He is survived by his wife, the former Betty Wilvasin; a stepson, Edward J. Bortner of Troy, Mich.; three step-grandchildren; and four step-great-grandchildren.

Gilda T. G. Paris, 57, sales representative

Gilda T. G. Paris, 57, a Randallstown resident and former sales representative for a wholesale food company, died July 4 of cancer at Northwest Medical Center.

The former Gilda T. Goodman graduated from Forest Park High School in 1956. She was a volunteer at animal rescue organizations.

Services were held July 7.

Survivors include her husband of 39 years, Harold M. Paris; two sons, Jeffrey C. Paris of Baltimore and Steven B. Paris of Owings Mills; a brother, Daniel Goodman of Randallstown; and a grandson. A son, Michael N. Paris, died in 1991.

Pub Date: 7/24/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.