McDonald's seeking approval for 2 Annapolis outlets tonight

July 22, 1996|By Dan Thanh Dang | Dan Thanh Dang,SUN STAFF

Annapolis residents and business owners will have one more chance tonight to give McDonald's golden arches the boot.

The city council will hold a public hearing in City Hall concerning two applications from McDonald's Corp. to open a restaurant in the historic first block of West St. and a second restaurant in Eastport.

While city officials say McDonald's will help give an economic boost to the ailing Inner West Street corridor, business owners and neighbors have loudly voiced objections to the proposed restaurant since the application was filed in February.

Business owners say a fast-food restaurant does not fit into revitalization plans for Inner West Street, which includes upscale restaurants and art galleries.

"I've been trying to tell the aldermen to help give Annapolis a vision instead of seeking answers through short-term economic development," said Brian Cahalan, owner of 49 West Coffee House, across the street from the proposed McDonald's.

"People come from all over the world to visit the historic district. Don't make Annapolis look like every other town," Cahalan said.

McDonald's failed in an effort to open a restaurant at the City Dock in the early 1970s, but rival Burger King managed to open a franchise farther up Main Street a few years later. That restaurant lost its franchise last year.

As a result of the opposition to Burger King on Main Street, the city zoning ordinance was changed to ban fast-food restaurants in areas marked for the conservation business district. Those areas include Dock Street, Main Street, Maryland Avenue and Market Space, but does not include the first block of West Street.

Pub Date: 7/22/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.