25 years agoGordon Blount, president of B. J. N...


July 21, 1996|By Compiled from the files of the Historical Society of Carroll County's library.

25 years ago

Gordon Blount, president of B. J. N. Enterprises, would-be developers of an airport-industrial park complex in Carroll County, failed in a bid Thursday to get a firm commitment of county backing despite what he thought was an earlier endorsement. The county commissioners told Blount Thursday that they were interested in developing an airport in the county, but that they would not give Blount support in his project because they had not investigated possible county development. The commissioners told the airport developer that they could not give anyone a "free hand." The commissioners said earlier, and repeated yesterday, that they would be unwilling to allow private interests to control an airport facility in the county because the county could lose the facility. They said they would like to lease county land to private interests to operate the airport as a "fixed base operator." -- Democratic Advocate, July 15, 1971.

50 years ago

The Historical Society of Carroll County has begun the collection World War II records, Dr. Nelson B. Lasson, director of the Maryland War Records Division, announced. This group is acting as the county representative for our statewide agency. Dr. Arthur Tracey is heading the local project. -- Democratic Advocate, July 12, 1946.

75 years ago

Four stills, a quantity of corn whiskey and 150 gallons of mash were seized by police officers Tuesday morning in the Disciple of Christ Church (colored). Deacon Willie Brown, in whose room the distilling was being carried on, was arrested. Brown admitted in police court that for $25 -- into the taking of which, he said, he had been tempted by the devil -- he had allowed one Henry, also colored, to make use of his room in the church for moonshining. He denied, however, that he had taken part in the making of the whiskey. When the officers raided that still, the deacon hid under the church. In order to give him an opportunity to bring the mysterious Henry to court, Police Justice Simmons continued the case until Friday. -- Union Bridge Pilot, July 8, 1921.

100 years ago

Probably in all the past history of New Windsor, there has never occurred another occasion when the town was the scene of such pandemonium-like racket and noise as prevailed there for several hours Tuesday night. The event was a calithumpian serenade given by several hundred people to George L. Stocksdale of the Westminster bar and his bride. Mrs. Stocksdale, before her marriage, which occurred a week ago at the Hotel Rennert, in Baltimore, was Mrs. Eliza Jane Smith, widow of William T. Smith, a former prominent citizen of New Windsor and ex-member of the House of Delegates and of the Orphans' Court bench of this county. The sound of the calithumpian was heard miles away. Its duration appeared endless, although it only continued about three hours. Every imaginable device that could add to the din was employed. To the uninitiated, it seemed as if bedlam had broken loose. The performance was concluded with half an hour's continuous shrieking of the steam whistle of a traction engine, brought on the ground to swell the melody of tin horns, trombones, horse fiddles, gongs, human yells and the like. -- American Sentinel, July 4, 1896.

Pub Date: 7/21/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.