Beverly H. Gill, 60, longtime church organistBeverly H...

July 13, 1996

Beverly H. Gill, 60, longtime church organist

Beverly H. Gill, organist for 47 years at Hunt's Memorial United Methodist Church in Riderwood and a longtime hospital volunteer, died Tuesday of cancer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. She was 60.

Mrs. Gill was honored last month by WJZ-TV for her 5,000 hours of volunteering at GBMC. She also played the organ in the hospital's chapel.

The former Beverly Howard, a lifelong Riderwood resident, was a 1953 Towson High School graduate. In 1956, she married her childhood sweetheart, Charles E. Gill, who lived next door.

She shared with her husband, the owner of Gill's Garage on West Joppa Road, a love for the Indianapolis 500 auto race. Since their marriage, Mrs. Gill had missed only a couple of races, when she was expecting the births of her children. Despite her illness, she attended this year's race in May.

Services were held yesterday for Mrs. Gill, who, in addition to her husband, is survived by two daughters, Patricia Ann Rosier of Hampstead and Jenny Gill Brown of Riderwood; her mother, Helen B. Howard of Riderwood; a brother, Donald W. Howard of Reisterstown; and two grandchildren.

Robert S. Jones, 94, P&G sales manager

Robert S. Jones, who worked 30 years for Procter & Gamble Co. before retiring as a district sales manager in 1957, died July 4 at Greater Baltimore Medical Center from complications of a fall. The Broadmead Retirement Community resident was 94.

The longtime former resident of Catonsville was a member of the Rotary Club of Baltimore, the Rolling Road Golf Club and a trustee of the Catonsville Presbyterian Church. He was also a member of Chestnut Grove Presbyterian Church in Phoenix, Baltimore County.

Born and raised near Columbus, Ohio, he earned his bachelor's degree from Ohio State University in 1924.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Broadmead Center, 13801 York Road, Cockeysville.

He is survived by his wife of 13 years, the former Winifred Buckelew; a son, Channing R. Jones of Hudson, Ohio; a daughter, Margaret J. Halberstadt of Wyoming, Ohio; a stepson, Shepherd Pawling of Dallas, Pa.; a stepdaughter, Penny P. Joel of Andover, Mass.; 12 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren. Mr. Jones and his first wife, Louise B. Jones, who died, were married about 40 years.

Dawn Johnson, 42, cashier at city impound lot

Dawn Johnson, a cashier at the city impound lot on Pulaski Highway for 13 years, died July 3 of asthma while visiting relatives in North Carolina. She was 42.

The Baltimore native graduated from Eastern High School in 1971 and worked at a bank, subsequently receiving certification in cashiering from the Calvert Adult Education Center. In the late 1970s, she worked at a Kmart store on Sinclair Lane before getting the impound-lot job.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Mount Tabor Baptist Church, 1719 E. Oliver St., for Ms. Johnson, who is survived by two sons, Darrell Bethea and Kevin Bethea; her mother, Helen Johnson; and a sister, Sue Johnson, all of Baltimore.

Simon Temes,48, an Alexander & Alexander financial services employee for 24 years, died June 29 of complications of heart bypass surgery at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

The Lutherville resident, who collected sports memorabilia and records, earned a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Baltimore in 1974.

Services were held July 2 for Mr. Temes, who is survived by his wife of 18 years, the former Rita Ann Brocato; a daughter, Leah Temes, at home; a brother, Irving Temes of Hampton; and a sister, Shirley Joyce of Pasadena.

John James Byers III,58, a former manager with Pepsi-Cola in Baltimore as well as founder of a Baltimore delivery service that bears his name, died of cancer in Seminole, Fla., on Tuesday.

Mr. Byers moved to Baltimore in 1983 to work for Pepsi-Cola as a supervisor in its full-service division. He was promoted to manager, district manager and mid-Atlantic manager of Pepsi's food service division, arranging beverage distribution for area festivals.

He left Pepsi-Cola in 1993 to became branch manager for Commercial Courier Express. A year later, he founded the John Byers Delivery Service in Baltimore and moved to Florida.

Services were held Thursday for Mr. Byers, who is survived by his wife of 11 years, the former Jeannine Lind of Seminole.

Pub Date: 7/13/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.