Fryer grease starts fire at camp

July 10, 1996

Hot grease in a deep fryer started a fire Monday night at River Valley Ranch, in the northeast corner of Carroll County, damaging the snack bar and a counselor's apartment at the camp, according to a deputy state fire marshal.

A 19-year-old employee who grabbed a fire extinguisher and fought the flames was treated and released at Carroll County General Hospital for inhalation of the chemical powder and smoke, said Deputy Chief Warren D. Gott. Damage to the uninsured building, owned by the Peter & John Radio Fellowship, was estimated at $30,000, with another $20,000 loss to the contents.

A smoke alarm sounded before the fire spread from the first-floor commercial area to the second-floor residential area.

The wood-frame building was one of several in the 4500 block of Grave Run Road, adjoining Prettyboy Reservoir near the Pennsylvania line.

Fire companies from Lineboro, Manchester, Hampstead and Westminster; Arcadia in Baltimore County; and New Freedom, Glen Rock and Parkville in York County, Pa., brought the two-alarm fire under control 30 minutes after the 8: 20 p.m. call.

Pub Date: 7/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.