Columbia fire causes $60,000 damage to homeA basement fire...

July 08, 1996

Columbia fire causes $60,000 damage to home

A basement fire possibly started by an overheated sump pump motor caused $60,000 in damage Thursday to a two-story Columbia home, Howard County fire officials said.

No one was injured in the fire in the 9300 block of Gentle Folk in Columbia's Owen Brown village. The four-member Duffy family was moved to another residence, said Lt. Chris Cangemi, a spokesman for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue.

The state fire marshal's office was still investigating the incident Friday. Cangemi said it appeared the sump pump may have caught fire and ignited drywall.

About 12 p.m. Thursday, firefighters responded to a report of fire at the home. When they got there, a basement fire had spread to the second floor and then to the attic of the home.

Firefighters put out the blaze within a half-hour. They had to relocate the family because the house had severe damage to its structure and contents, Cangemi said.

Police log

Kings Contrivance: 10000 block of Herding Row: A home's basement window was kicked in July 3, but there was no entry.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.