George William Frick Jr., 74, owned Broadway FoodsGeorge...

July 07, 1996

George William Frick Jr., 74, owned Broadway Foods

George William "Bill" Frick Jr., former owner of Broadway Foods Inc., died Friday of cancer at Greater Baltimore Medical Center in Towson. He was 74.

Born on 33rd Street in Baltimore, Mr. Frick graduated from City College in 1937 and Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., in 1942.

During World War II, he was stationed at an Army base in Anchorage, Alaska, where he worked as a supply sergeant from 1942 to 1945. Upon discharge, he returned home to work at the then-Broadway Meat Co., which had been in his family since 1890.

In 1946, he married the former Carlyn Walker. The couple lived near Lake Montebello for years before moving to Anneslie. They moved to Towson in November.

The family business, originally known as Broadway Meat and Produce Co., began as a wholesale supplier to commercial ships too large to enter Baltimore harbor. The family also owned Marine Launch Co., a marine services company, which was sold in 1984.

Later, Broadway Meat mostly sold to local hotels and restaurants.

Mr. Frick became president of the company in 1954 and sold it to Maryland Hotel Supply Co. in 1987.

An avid golfer, Mr. Frick belonged to the Country Club of Maryland in Towson and was a charter member of the Beach Club in Berlin, on the Eastern Shore.

He was a past president of the Exchange Club in Towson and a member and former trustee of Govans Presbyterian Church.

Services will be held at 10: 30 a.m. tomorrow at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld funeral home, 6500 York Road in Rodgers Forge.

In addition to his wife, survivors include two sons, William L. "Roy" Frick of Ocean City and George W. Frick III of Towson; a sister, Betty Habercam of Millsboro, Del.; and five grandchildren.

Dorothea M. Trainor, 58, personnel officer

Dorothea M. "Dobbie" Trainor, a personnel officer for the Maryland State Highway Administration for 30 years and wife of former state Transportation Secretary Richard H. Trainor, died Thursday of cancer at her Homeland residence. She was 58.

A native of Glyndon, the former Dorothea Myers graduated from Franklin Senior High School in 1956. She married Mr. Trainor in March 1965.

The couple lived in Upperco for a number of years before moving to Homeland in 1978.

Mrs. Trainor was a personnel officer at District 4 of the State Highway Administration for 30 years, retiring in the 1980s. She was a volunteer at the state Transportation Department's data center in Glen Burnie for 10 years, ending about 18 months ago, when she became too ill to work.

An animal lover, Mrs. Trainor enjoyed her three cats and regularly contributed to groups that support the preservation of wildlife and fight cruelty to animals.

"They never had children, and those three cats were like their children. Their names are Mandy, Devine and Harold," said Valerie Merrill, a longtime friend.

Mrs. Trainor always remembered birthdays and anniversaries by sending cards and kept a list of such dates on her home computer, Ms. Merrill said.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Eckhardt funeral home, 11605 Reisterstown Road in Owings Mills.

The family suggested donations to the Dorothea M. Trainor Fund, Maryland Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 1055 Taylor Ave., Towson 21286.

Other survivors include her mother, Dorothea Danz Myers of Reisterstown, and three sisters, Elizabeth "Betty" Seletzky of Manchester, Judith Defoor of Reisterstown and Lonni Bechen of Weirsdale, Fla.

Pearl Dowdy Fulton, 77, restaurant owner

Pearl Dowdy Fulton, a former soul food restaurant owner and longtime East Baltimore resident, died Wednesday of heart failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 77.

A native of Lunenburg County, Va., the former Pearl Hines was educated in a one-room schoolhouse in Meherrin, Va.

In 1935, she married Earl Dowdy and moved to Baltimore; they had eight children. Mr. Dowdy died in 1973. She married Jesse L. Fulton in 1986.

Mrs. Fulton worked at Western Electric Co. as a wire cutter in the 1940s and 1950s.

Later, she was a barmaid and cook at local bars, where her culinary skills were lauded by customers, Mr. Fulton said.

"She was always a great cook and after she started cooking for the bars, she decided to go out on her own," he said.

From the mid- to late 1960s, she operated Pearl's Country Cooking at the intersection of Preston and Potomac streets in East Baltimore. Then she moved to a larger location on Edmondson Avenue at Poplar Grove Street, renaming the business Pearl's Soul Food House.

"It was a popular restaurant," Mr. Fulton said. "A lot of people patronized that place."

Because of illness, she left the restaurant business in the late 1970s. Later, she worked as a janitor for a cleaning service.

Mrs. Fulton cared for about 100 foster children on an emergency basis during the 1960s and 1970s.

A wake will be held at 10: 30 a.m. tomorrow, and services will follow at Israel Baptist Church, 1220 Chester St. in East Baltimore.

Other survivors include two sons, Earl Dowdy Jr. of Meherrin and William Dowdy of Baltimore; five daughters, Lillie Clark, Mildred Wilson, Geraldine Clark, Alice Adams and Shirley Dowdy, all of Baltimore; three brothers, Chester Hines Jr. of Meherrin, and Walker Hines and Linwood Hines, both of Baltimore; two sisters, Ada Williams of Baltimore and Adele Reed of Turner's Station; 17 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Pub Date: 7/07/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.