Anthony Lee Davenport, who stabbed his wife 83...


June 25, 1996|By From staff reports

TOWSON -- Anthony Lee Davenport, who stabbed his wife 83 times, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole yesterday in the county Circuit Court.

Davenport, 27, a former pizza delivery driver, was convicted of first-degree murder in April for killing Katanya Denise Davenport, 30, last July in their Hillendale apartment. The victim's daughters -- 10, and 19 days -- were in a nearby room.

In imposing sentence, Judge Barbara Kerr Howe called the slaying "one of the most senseless, vicious, unexplainable, dreadful and horrible crimes" she had seen.

Two county workers treated after repair shop explosion


ESSEX -- Two workers were taken to Franklin Square Hospital complaining of hearing loss after an explosion in a county vehicle repair shop yesterday that blew out the glass windows of a bay door and slightly damaged the ceiling, a county Fire Department spokesman said.

Stanley Morse, 48, and Mark Persaghin, 38, were using a torch to cut exhaust pipes from a vehicle on a lift when the explosion occurred about 9: 20 a.m. at the Mace Avenue Service Center, said Battalion Chief Mark Hubbard, a department spokesman. Both men were released after treatment.

County officials said the accident was caused by a leak in the torch assembly's oxygen tank.

Towson Farmers Market will open on Thursday


TOWSON -- The Towson Farmers Market opens Thursday on Allegheny Avenue between York Road and Washington Avenue, beginning its 17th year.

More than 20 farmers and vendors will offer fresh produce, flowers and baked goods from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Opening ceremonies are scheduled for noon.

The weekly market will continue Thursdays through October, except for next week when it will be held on Wednesday because of the July 4th holiday.

A contractor installing cable television lines yesterday in Southeast Baltimore near Boston Street and Montford Avenue in Canton cut through a concrete duct, knocking out three feeder lines and cutting power to 1,101 Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. customers, a spokeswoman said.

The accident, which occurred about 3 p.m., affected residential and commercial users, said BGE spokeswoman Kathleen Nolan. By 6: 30 p.m., power was restored to about 70 percent of those affected; the rest were expected to have electricity by this morning.

Woman, 25, dies from stab wounds

Tisha McFadden, 25, of the 2100 block of W. Saratoga St., died Sunday afternoon at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center of stab wounds received during a fight with an acquaintance in the 600 block of N. Payson St. in West Baltimore, police said.

About 6 p.m. Sunday, police arrested Marlo Barnes, of the 1100 block of Sarah Ann St., and charged her with first-degree murder in McFadden's death. Barnes was arrested at Bon Secours Hospital where she had gone for treatment of a stab wound to the knee.

Police seek to identify man shot to death

Police yesterday were trying to identify a man who was fatally shot during a struggle with another man Sunday in the 1700 block of Nome St. in Southeast Baltimore. Rahiem Mitchell, 25, of the 1700 block of Nome, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Man found fatally shot on North Avenue sidewalk

The body of Thomas Maurice Jenkins, 21, of the 2400 block of Druid Hill Ave. was found at 2: 40 a.m. yesterday on the sidewalk in the 1200 block of W. North Ave. in West Baltimore, police said. He had been shot in the head.

Pub Date: 6/25/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.