Fire causes extensive damage to century-old Annapolis home

June 17, 1996|By FROM STAFF REPORTS

A three-story residence in the Annapolis historic district was extensively damaged yesterday when a two-alarm fire caused by an overloaded electrical outlet destroyed the basement and caused smoke damage to the upper floors, said a spokesman for the city Fire Department.

Damage to the nearly 100-year-old wood frame house was estimated at $100,000.

Fire Capt. Leonard Clark, the spokesman, said the house at 215 King George St. is the home of Navy Capt. Robert Adrian, his wife, Joan, and their two grown children, all of whom escaped unhurt.

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries and were treated at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Clark said the fire was reported at 9: 37 a.m., and the second alarm sounded at 9: 48 a.m. The fire was reported under control at 10: 58 a.m.

Eight pieces of apparatus and nearly 30 firefighters from the city, county and Naval Academy fire departments responded.

Pub Date: 6/17/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.