S. Robert Tucker, 74, Rock Hall councilmanS. Robert...

June 14, 1996

S. Robert Tucker, 74, Rock Hall councilman

S. Robert Tucker, a member of the Rock Hall Town Council and former insurance agent, died Monday of cancer at Kent and Queen Anne's Hospital in Chestertown. He was 74.

The longtime Democrat had been a member of the council since 1986. In 1982, he retired from the United Insurance Co. in Chestertown where he had worked for 35 years.

For 16 years, he was deputy director of the Kent County Emergency Management Agency and was a life member of the Rock Hall Volunteer Fire Department and a past president of the Kent and Queen Anne's Firemen's Association.

He was a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 10063 in Fairlee, Masonic Order Chester Lodge No. 115, Chestertown Eastern Star and Chesapeake Commandery No. 10 of the Knights Temple in Denton.

He also was a part-time hunting guide for Remington Farms in Chestertown and carved swan decoys.

He was born and raised in Rock Hall and was a 1938 graduate of the high school there. He worked for Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River before enlisting in the Army during World War II. He fought in Europe and was discharged as a staff sergeant in 1946. He was called back to active duty during the Korean War.

He was a lifelong member of Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church on Route 20 in Rock Hall where services will be held at 11 a.m. today. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Mary McClure; a son, Robert Carroll Tucker of Rock Hall; a daughter, Kathleen Tucker Watson of Chestertown; two brothers, F. Burgess Tucker of Rock Hall and Elwood Tucker of Chestertown; three grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

James G. Nelson, 69, Aspen Institute executive

James G. Nelson, who retired as executive vice president of the Aspen Institute on the Eastern Shore, died Tuesday of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, at his Queenstown home. He was 69.

A former advertising manager at Carvel Hall Cutlery in Crisfield and Towie Silversmiths in Newburyport, Mass., he joined Wye Institute in 1964. He was president and a director of Wye when it was taken over by Aspen Institute in the 1980s. He retired in 1991.

The institute, based in Queenstown, helps with Eastern Shore economic, educational, cultural and community development.

During his tenure at the institute, more than 20 significant books dealing with Eastern Shore history and culture were published by Queen Anne Press, the institute's publishing arm.

The World War II Navy veteran was born and raised in Crisfield and was a graduate of the high school there. He attended Salisbury State University.

He served on many boards, including those of the Baltimore Museum of Art, Easton Memorial Hospital, Washington College and Eastern Shore Land Conservancy.

Graveside services will be held at 1 p.m. today at Asbury United Methodist Church cemetery on Asbury Avenue in Crisfield.

He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Patsy Sterling; three sons, Michael Nelson of Annapolis, Maurice Nelson of Easton and Mark Nelson of Williamsburg, Va.; and four grandchildren.

Pub Date: 6/14/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.