50 years ago World War II prisoners of war are leaving...

Flashbacks

June 02, 1996|By Robert M. Pennington from the archives of the Ann Arrundell County Historical Society.

50 years ago World War II prisoners of war are leaving Anne Arundel County. Fort Meade was the first army post in Maryland to house prisoners, receiving its first, Italians, in 1943. Over half were engaged in contract labor while the rest were put to military work. -- The Sun, May 4, 1946.

The Board of Visitors to the Naval Academy has recommended that land be acquired for an airfield, that midshipmen pay be raised from $65 a month to $85 and that prospective teachers be scrutinized more closely regarding scholastic backgrounds. -- The Sun, May 9, 1946.

In an afternoon parade, the Naval Academy midshipmen's brigade passed before James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy, to celebrate the anniversary of victory in Europe. -- The Sun, May 8, 1946.

Carrying 59 vehicles, packed bumper to bumper, the state-owed ferry boat John M. Dennis last night inaugurated regular night service between Sandy Point and Matapeake. -- The Sun, May 18, 1946.

Pub Date: 6/02/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.