BGE employee badly hurt while connecting service

April 29, 1996|By Ed Heard | Ed Heard,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. employee was injured Friday when he was shocked while working on an underground transformer at a home near Clarksville, Howard County fire and rescue officials said.

Stewart Schmidt, 41, of an unknown address, was in serious condition yesterday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Darcel Guy, a BGE spokeswoman, said BGE safety inspectors were investigating the accident Friday to see whether it could have been prevented.

About 11: 20 a.m., Mr. Schmidt was connecting electric service to a home in the 4200 block of Buckskin Lake Drive, just west of Glenelg Country School in the western part of the county, when his body touched a live wire.

He went into cardiac arrest, and was unconscious when rescuers arrived. A county medical team performed CPR to revive him, and a state police helicopter flew him for treatment in Baltimore, said Lt. Michael Baker, a spokesman for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.