Extension cord is blamed in blaze that displaced Union Bridge family

April 26, 1996

An overloaded extension cord was the cause of a fire early yesterday that caused $30,000 damage to a Union Bridge house and left a family of three homeless, fire officials said.

No one was injured in the blaze and displaced residents were assisted by relatives, fire officials said. A 15-year-old boy told firefighters that he awoke at 1: 18 a.m. to find flames coming from the kitchen, where the cord had been used to operate a washing machine.

About 75 firefighters from Union Bridge, Taneytown, New Windsor and New Midway brought the fire at the two-story wood structure in the first block of E. Broadway under control in 10 minutes.

Fire

Taneytown: Firefighters from Harney, Union Bridge, Emmitsburg, Kingsdale, Pa., and Littlestown, Pa., assisted Taneytown at 10: 05 p.m. Wednesday, responding to a building fire on East Baltimore Street.

Pub Date: 4/26/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.