Roland Park drops Loch Raven, 10-7 Mount Hebron outruns Dulaney, 11-7

Girls lacrosse

April 21, 1996|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Roland Park clearly won the first half of its game yesterday with Loch Raven. The Reds kept possession for much of the first 25 minutes and used a four-goal, one-assist effort from Lauren Miller to take an 8-3 halftime lead.

The Raiders, however, captured the second half behind four goals from Courtney Martinez. But No. 6 Roland Park held No. 11 Loch Raven scoreless for the final 12: 37 and defeated the Raiders, 10-7, in the Maryland High School Lacrosse Showdown at Homewood Field. Mount Hebron defeated Dulaney, 11-7, in the first game.

Miller led the early Roland Park run. She took a perfect pass from Lizzy Bennett (one goal, three assists) for a goal 57 seconds into the game. Miller scored three more times in the half, all on good moves near the goal, as Roland Park (6-2) took the five-goal lead.

Martinez (five goals), however, dominated the second half. Three times, she split a double team to score from in front, the final one coming with 12: 37 left to make it 9-7.

But while trying to score with 8: 45 left, she collided with a Roland Park defender and went down with an injured left knee. Martinez had surgery to repair a torn ACL in that knee about six months ago, and she will undergo tests immediately.

Loch Raven coach Wendy Galinn said Martinez will probably miss tomorrow's game with Dulaney. Roland Park took over after Martinez went down and shut down Loch Raven (4-2).

"I think we came out maybe a little bit too complacent in the second half," said Roland Park coach Traci Magness. "We didn't take it to the net."

The Reds, led by Miller, Bennett and Alli Harper (three goals, one assist) scored three times in the first five minutes and four more times in the last seven for the big lead.

For Roland Park, passing and possession were keys. The Reds won nine of 11 draws in the first half and put on a dazzling display of passing often involving Miller, Bennett and Harper.

But the Loch Raven rally in the second half delighted coach Galinn.

"I'm really pleased," said Galinn. "They didn't quit. I'm disappointed with the loss, but I'm real pleased with the way the kids played."

Mount Hebron (8-1) scored goals on its first three shots and used its superior speed to create several scoring chances on the way to its win over Dulaney (5-1).

The Vikings, with three goals and one assist from Kyle Rutkowski plus three goals from Kelly Dodson, repeatedly caused problems for the Lions with their speed.

They used it to make long scoring runs and repeatedly double-teamed Dulaney. Julie Kickham (two goals, one assist) got the game's first goal for the Vikings when she scooped up a loose ball and raced 80 yards to score.

Still, Dulaney hung tough. Dawn Will (four goals) and Nicole Wittelsberger (three goals) combined for three goals in 42 seconds in the final minute of the half to cut Mount Hebron's lead to 7-5.

Will made a nice move, cutting from right to left, and scored with 14: 16 left to make it 8-6, but Mount Hebron sealed the victory with three straight goals.

"We knew it was going to be a total running game," said Will. "I think after a few minutes we calmed down and played our game."

Mount Hebron limited Dulaney's chances -- outshooting the Lions, 25-11 -- but the Dulaney defense helped keep things close, sparked by goalie Tricia Dabrowski (11 saves).

Pub Date: 4/21/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.