Pease and Calvert Hall hand McDonogh 3rd shutout in row

April 19, 1996|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Calvert Hall took a right turn and stayed in the chase for the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference title while visiting McDonogh took a turn for worse yesterday.

No. 4 Calvert Hall shut out No. 8 McDonogh, 6-0, behind senior right-hander Joe Pease in what has not been a good week for either perennial MIAA contender, especially McDonogh.

Calvert Hall (11-5, 3-1) dropped a 3-2 decision in eight innings to No. 5 Gilman on Monday with the last two Greyhounds runs coming after two were out. Meanwhile, the Eagles (8-4, 2-3) were shut out yesterday for a third consecutive time this week.

No. 3 Mount St. Joseph shut out McDonogh, 11-0, on Monday, and Wednesday, Archbishop Curley stunned the Eagles, 1-0. Yesterday, Pease (4-0) shut down McDonogh on three hits through six innings and sophomore Justin Nash got the final three outs, giving up two infield hits to preserve the verdict.

"We've been struggling a little bit, and hopefully, we took a big step to come out of it today, " said Calvert Hall coach Snooky Binder. "We beat an above-average high school pitcher today."

The Cardinals dealt McDonogh ace Mike Steller (3-1) his first loss of the season. The lanky right-hander threw 96 pitches and gave up six runs and nine hits, struck out four and walked three over six innings.

First baseman Chuck Easter and catcher Mike Jewell had two hits each for the winners. Easter and Jewell both doubled as did third baseman Rob Stastny, the latter's hit producing the final two runs in a decisive, three-run third inning.

"I don't think we were flat, but being shut out three times in a row, it starts to become a mental thing," said McDonogh coach Chet Janiga. "We may be pressing right now and didn't make the plays we needed to make."

Janiga was referring to the third inning when Stastny's drive to left-center just missed being caught over the shoulder by center fielder Mike Dubansky. Dubansky couldn't hold on as the wind curved the ball away from him at the last second, sending a pair of Cardinals home.

Tony Templon's infield hit, a high hopper over the mound, scored the first run of the third inning after Easter scored on a wild pitch for a 1-0 lead in the first.

Easter doubled in Dale Berkey, who had reached on an infield hit in the fourth and Easter came home on Ryan Tolson's single to left to cap the scoring.

McDonogh failed to capitalize on Pease's wildness in the first three innings and stranded two runners in the first and three in the third before the pitcher settled down to strike out six.

Pub Date: 4/19/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.