St. Paul's loses 4-goal lead but outlasts Gilman in 2 OTs Rauch caps 11-10 win for No. 2 Crusaders

Boys lacrosse

April 17, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

St. Paul's let a four-goal fourth-quarter lead slip away. The Crusaders felt the momentum swing when Gilman tied the game with 12 seconds left in regulation.

But heading into overtime, St. Paul's seemed more relaxed and determined. Its patience paid off when Conor Gill hit a cutting David Rauch for the game-winning goal with 1: 44 left in the second overtime to lift No. 2 St. Paul's to an 11-10 victory over No. 4 and host Gilman yesterday in an MIAA A Conference game.

Surprisingly, it was the first St. Paul's goal of the game not scored by Buggs Combs or Chris Kakel. That duo each scored five goals for the Crusaders (7-1), who have won their past two games in overtime.

The two-time defending MIAA champion Greyhounds (6-3), who have lost two straight, were paced by Chase Martin's five goals.

"We needed to get the train back on its tracks," St. Paul's coach Rick Brocato said. "We just needed to get our focus back."

The Crusaders, who never trailed, broke open a close game by scoring five of the last six goals in the third quarter to take a 9-5 lead. The run was ignited by St. Paul's ability to crack a packed Greyhounds zone defense.

Combs scored three straight times in the final 2: 48 of the third by finding open areas along the crease just behind the zone and converting passes from point-blank range.

"For most of the year, our key play has been the back door," Combs said. "It seems like either Conor or Kakel is putting the ball in my stick and I just have to put it into the goal."

Facing a four-goal deficit, Gilman stretched out the zone to force more turnovers. It worked, as the Greyhounds went on a 4-0 run and held St. Paul's scoreless for 11 minutes.

Martin's underhand blast with 3: 25 left in the fourth quarter tied the game at 9-9. St. Paul's ended its drought, scoring on Kakel's left-handed shot from seven yards out with 1: 04 left to put the Crusaders ahead, 10-9.

St. Paul's won the ensuing faceoff, but threw the ball away and failed on a clear on its next two possessions, giving Gilman chances to tie the game. With 12 seconds left in regulation, Keith Baker fired from 15 yards out to send the game into overtime.

Gilman nearly won the game 1 1/2 minutes into the first overtime when Nick Weisser beat his defender and had a clear path to the goal. However, St. Paul's goalkeeper Rich Yost ran out of the cage to cut off Weisser and deflected the shot off his chest.

Pub Date: 4/17/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.