Mt. Hebron sinks Westminster in second OT, 8-7

April 16, 1996|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

Mount Hebron senior midfielder Brent Wilhoite was making a quick dash for the bus last night, looking to get out of the rain and cold at Westminster, when he paused for a second.

"Heckuva game, White," he yelled, referring to a Westminster team that was still grouped together on the field.

It was Wilhoite's goal in double overtime that completed a comeback that started in the third quarter, giving the No. 10 Vikings an 8-7 win over the Owls in a game played in steady downpour.

Wilhoite circled in front from the right side to beat Westminster goalie Jonathan Gibson midway through the second four-minute overtime period.

Mount Hebron (5-1) tied the score at 7-7 on Jeremy DeSor's goal with two minutes left in regulation and dominated most of the overtime play with Gibson turning back a number of shots before Wilhoite's game-winner.

"I asked [coach Warren Michael] to get me in there and I just wanted the ball. Then I was yelling 'Back door'," Wilhoite said.

"They were a very good team, well-coached and we may have overlooked them some coming in."

The poor field conditions and steady rain had a definite effect on Mount Hebron in the first half, but Westminster (4-2) wasn't fazed. The Owls took a 6-2 lead into a shortened halftime break with some crisp passing and solid zone defense that didn't allow the Vikings to get a lot of shots off from in close.

Dave Hare opened the scoring for Westminster with a man-advantage goal from the left side midway through the first quarter and the Owls got two goals from senior Mark McAlonan late in the second quarter.

The halftime break lasted only five minutes because of the weather, but it was more than enough time for the Vikings to regroup. Justin Hanson scored 26 seconds into the third quarter and Wilhoite scored the first of his two goals 14 seconds later to get the Viking within two.

Trailing 7-4 later in the third quarter, Mount Hebron got two straight goals from James Thomas before DeSor (two goals, two assists) tied the score late in the fourth quarter.

Gibson had nine saves in the Westminster goal with Brian Lea also having a solid night with six stops in the Hebron goal.

Pub Date: 4/16/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.