No. 3 Gilman survives mud, Calvert Hall for 8-7 win Brawner's goal ends 2nd straight 4-OT meeting

April 10, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

It's becoming known as the rivalry that won't end.

For the second straight year, Gilman and Calvert Hall battled to four overtimes. But this time, it was payback for the Greyhounds.

Rambling through mud puddles and driving snow, Tyler Brawner scored a high floating shot from seven yards out with 1 1/2 minutes left in the fourth overtime to propel No. 3 Gilman to an 8-7 triumph over host and No. 6 Calvert Hall. Brawner's goal broke a 7-7 tie that lasted 19 minutes and ignited a jubilant Greyhound mobbing of the field.

Last year, Gilman (6-1) was upset by the Cardinals, who scored with six seconds left in the fourth overtime. Unlike last year, yesterday's game was played on a hazardous field in which faceoffs had to be moved a few yards from midfield because the ball continually got lodged in the mud.

"Actually both teams played a lot better this year considering the field conditions," Gilman coach John Tucker said. "It could have gone either way. It got to a point where there wasn't much skill needed."

In the fourth quarter, it appeared Calvert Hall (4-3) was going to get it done. Trailing 5-2 and failing on three straight extra-man opportunities, Calvert Hall scored three goals in less than a minute to tie the game early in the fourth.

Jerry Schiavino's third goal of the period with 9: 09 left in the game gave the Cardinals their first lead at 6-5. Gilman attackman Lawson DeVries ended the four-goal run and tied the game at 6 with 7: 53 remaining on a drive from the left wing.

Calvert Hall reclaimed the advantage at 7-6 just 2 1/2 minutes later when Corey Comen scored off a pass from Nick Lockwood. But Gilman regrouped quickly and tied the game for the third time in the fourth quarter at 7 on a goal by Brandon Cornes with 4: 30 left.

The Greyhounds controlled the first overtime and would have ended the game then if Calvert Hall goalkeeper Strider Dickson didn't make a high stick save on a point-blank shot. Dickson made three of his 16 saves in the first overtime.

But most of the fourth overtime was played on Gilman's offensive end. After two loose-ball fouls allowed Gilman to retain possession, Brawner converted the game-winning score.

"It's frustrating because we've been in a lot of games against teams we're not supposed to be with," Calvert Hall coach Bryan Kelly said. "It was anybody's game.

"We don't have as much depth as a lot of teams. With all that mud, I think it wore on us toward the end."

For Gilman, a last-minute, game-winning score in the mud has become commonplace. The Greyhounds edged past Loyola on March 28 with a last-minute goal on a rain-soaked field.

Pub Date: 4/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.