Leonard A. Hare Sr., 80, owned Hampden grocery store

April 04, 1996|By Fred Rasmussen | Fred Rasmussen,SUN STAFF

Leonard A. "Bud" Hare Sr., who with his wife had operated a popular Hampden grocery store, died Saturday of a massive stroke at Keswick. He was 80.

The Hares opened B&E Grocery in Remington in 1953. The store later was moved to Dellwood and Conduit avenues in Hampden. The couple closed it in 1988.

"We made a good living, and we liked it because we both liked people," said the former Ella Jacobs, his wife since 1936. "The place was so popular that folks used to say, 'I'll metcha down Hares,' " she said.

"Dad cut meat while Mom saw to the needs of the customers," said their daughter, Elizabeth M. Childs of Hampden. She described the store as having "a little bit of everything."

Mr. Hare was known for his friendliness and the jokes he tried on customers and his generosity to needy families.

"He gave credit and kept a book but didn't worry too much about it," Mrs. Childs said.

"During snowstorms when the milkman might have trouble delivering, he'd make sure that a family who had babies or small children got milk. So it wasn't uncommon to see him trudging through the snow with several bottles of milk in his hands," Mrs. Childs said.

At Christmastime, the Hares sold Christmas trees and greens in front of their store and, if there was snow on the ground, Mr. Hare would take off his butcher's apron and go sledding with the neighborhood children.

"We had a fire pot on the corner and we all kept warm while selling those trees and greens," Mrs. Hare recalled.

The store also was known for its snowballs and homemade flavorings and neighborhood bulletin board.

During the Korean War, the bulletin board featured photos and addresses of area servicemen so neighbors could write to them.

After closing the store, Mr. Hare became a volunteer at Union Memorial Hospital, helping with the mail and cheering up patients.

Born and raised in Remington, he attended city schools until the eighth grade, leaving to help support his family after his father died.

During the late 1920s and early 1930s, he was a milkman for Western Maryland Fairfield Dairy, delivering milk from a horse-drawn wagon in Guilford. He later worked for a food packing company and was a foreman at the Glenn L. Martin Co. aircraft plant in Middle River.

During World War II, he served in the Navy. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Sheridan Wood Post in Hampden.

He was a communicant and usher at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, where services were held Tuesday.

Other survivors include two sons, Leonard A. Hare Jr. of Hampden and Lawrence A. Hare of Stewartstown, Pa.; a sister, Evelyn Edmonds of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Daniel J. Thorr, 61, authority on rubber

Daniel J. Thorr, 61, an authority on rubber compounds and rubber hoses, died March 25 of respiratory failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He lived in Ellicott City.

In 1980, he founded Nautical Rubber Co. After the company closed, he established NII Marine Products in 1992 and was its president at his death.

He began his career in 1956 in his native Erie, Pa. He came to Baltimore in the late 1950s to open a branch of Pittsburgh-based Shields Rubber Co.

Active in the Boy Scouts, he was awarded the organization's Silver Beaver Award for helping to establish many area Scout troops. He was a member of the Boumi Temple, the Scottish Rite and the Perry Lodge in Erie.

He was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Ellicott City, where a memorial service was held Saturday.

His first wife, the former Rebecca Coblentz, died in 1969.

He is survived by his wife, the former Adrienne Carle; two daughters, Susan R. Fleegle of Greensboro and Carie L. Deneau of Houston, Del.; a stepson, R. Andrew Holland of Irwin, Pa.; a step-daughter, Karen L. Steinberg of Sykesville; a brother, William Thorr of Erie; and 11 grandchildren.

Pub Date: 4/04/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.