Marohl lifts St. Mary's over Boys' Latin Senior's three goals are difference in 5-3 win

April 03, 1996|By Bill Free | Bill Free,SUN STAFF

One thing is certain for No. 1 St. Mary's, it will never have to worry about getting off its share of screaming shots on goal as long as Dan Marohl is on the field.

Marohl has a cannon for a shot and the senior attackman doesn't hesitate to use it any time he gets within firing range.

Marohl kept pelting Brian Berger, goalie for No. 5 Boys' Latin, relentlessly yesterday and scored three times to lead the unbeaten Saints to a 5-3 victory over the Lakers in an old-fashioned MIAA A Conference defensive duel at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis.

Marohl's third goal was a slightly spectacular one and gave St. Mary's (5-0) a 5-3 lead with 31 seconds gone in the fourth quarter.

Adding further impact to the Marohl goal was the fact that tTC Berger, a junior, had put on a goal-keeping clinic most of the afternoon and came away with 15 saves.

"Dan is our leader," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead. "He's a four-year player for us on the varsity and saved us on a day when we didn't shoot well overall and had a fired up team out to knock us off because we're No. 1."

The only way the Saints could beat Berger and the outstanding Boys' Latin (4-2) defensive trio of Erik Fitez, John Glatzel and David Rose yesterday was on breakaway chances or super individual plays.

Marohl scored twice on sheer talent and once on a pass from Josh White out of transition.

White also scored once on a breakaway off a feed from Brian Kingsbury. The LaChapelle twins, Marcus and Brian, hooked up for an impressive goal with 3: 14 left in the third quarter, with Brian scoring to give the Saints a 4-3 lead.

After Marohl made it 5-3 early in the fourth quarter, the Saints slowed their offense and ran large chunks of time off the clock.

That made each Boys' Latin possession down the stretch critical and the Lakers seemed to be pressing too much to get the two catch-up goals.

With 3: 20 left, Boys' Latin's Pat Radebaugh sent a shot far over the goal after the Lakers worked for an open shot and they simply made a couple of bad passes on two other possessions.

But Boys' Latin did put the ball in the net with 2: 48 left on a nifty move to the goal by Ian Shure, but the goal was disallowed because he was ruled to be in the crease.

It was the second time in the game the Lakers looked as if they had scored but came away empty.

The first disappointment came with 4: 50 remaining in the second quarter when Dave Ulrich sent a shot that hit the inside of the pipe and somehow managed to bounce back onto the field.

However, there was still a slight hope for the visitors with 39 seconds left when St. Mary's got called for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving the Lakers a man advantage.

Again, Boys' Latin couldn't get on the scoreboard as Aaron Vercollone's shot just missed and Jon Horrigan (eight saves for St. Mary's) made a save of a second Vercollone shot.

Vercollone led Boys' Latin with two goals.

"We didn't clear the ball well, pick up ground balls like we're capable of," said Boys' Latin coach Bob Shriver. "But St. Mary's has two wonderful defensive players in Jon Cline and Zach Burke."

Pub Date: 4/03/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.