Langton penalized, then makes Loyola pay, 12-11 Redeems mistake with goal as Towson stops 6-goal rally

March 31, 1996|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,SUN STAFF

With 18 seconds left in regulation at Minnegan Stadium last night, Towson State senior midfielder Tim Langton might have been looking for a rabbit hole to crawl into after getting called for pushing Loyola's Brian Volpe.

Loyola (3-3) had battled back from an 11-5 deficit with 8: 48 left to tie it on midfielder David Mahoskey's unassisted goal with 27 seconds remaining.

The penalty against Langton gave the Greyhounds a chance to complete a dramatic comeback, but senior midfielder Brian Bacso's shot with three seconds left was rejected by goalie Brian Whalen.

That gave Langton a chance for redemption. And he delivered with 1: 16 left in overtime, taking a pass from sophomore attackman Matt Clune and beating Jim Brown with a 10-foot bullet from right of the crease to give the Tigers a 12-11 triumph.

"It's like a little boy's dream come true," said Langton. "You start thinking of scoring a winning goal when you're a kid tossing a lacrosse ball against a wall. I was disappointed in myself for committing that foul, and I was thankful to get a chance to make amends."

But the Tigers (2-3), who had lost seven of their previous eight meetings with Loyola, needed a penalty to pull this one out.

Loyola faceoff specialist Jamie Hanford was called for having an illegal stick before the start of overtime, giving Towson State three minutes with an extra man.

"Don't blame the kid, blame me," said Loyola coach Dave Cottle. "It had something to do with a piece of plastic on the stick. But it's my fault for not checking it, and it's a very difficult way to lose."

Towson State coach Carl Runk also would have preferred having it end some other way.

"I have to bring the stick violation to the attention of the officials," Runk said, "but I was actually just trying to buy some time for my players. They needed a little breather. I hate to see a stick determine the outcome of a game.

"We won a big game the hard way, but we needed it real bad."

The Tigers seemed firmly in control after their tight defense and the shot-making of sophomore Kevin Sturm and Langton, who scored three goals apiece, had staked them to an 11-5 lead.

"We were very impatient on offense," said Cottle. "We weren't moving the ball. If we don't pay attention to detail, we'll lose to a lot of teams we're supposed to beat."

But the Greyhounds, who suffered a 13-12 loss to third-ranked Brown last week, rallied.

In just under three minutes, Mark O'Brien scored twice and Brian Duffy and Mahoskey followed with goals to make it 11-9 with 3: 25 left.

The Tigers, who had little practice time this week due to the inclement weather, began tiring.

A long run by O'Brien made it 11-10 before Mahoskey tied it.

Pub Date: 3/31/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.