No. 3 Gilman gets past No. 4 Loyola

March 29, 1996|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

With 16 seconds left in yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game, played under swamp-like conditions at No. 4 Loyola, No. 3 Gilman's Chase Martin switched to his instincts.

The All-Metro attackman dug the ball out of mucky pool of water amid a cluster of players five yards before keeper Pat McGinnis (seven saves), turned and fired in his team-high third goal to break the game's seventh tie and lift the two-time defending MIAA champs (3-1) to an 11-10 victory.

'We had to have that goal, and I just wanted to dig it up and score,' said Martin, who also had one of Gilman's nine assists. 'We learned in our loss to St. Mary's that we needed more team offense, and this is a nice start.'

For Gilman, which led, 2-0, early, and 4-3 at the half, Lawson DeVries and Keith Baker each had two goals and an assist, Alex Lieske had two assists, and Andrew Faraone a goal and an assist. Keeper Danny Mooney had 10 saves. The top scorers for Loyola were Colin Dougherty (three goals, one assist), Mike Morris ( two, three), Chris Purpura (two goals) and Chris Malone (one, two).

Purpura gave Loyola it's first lead, 7-6, with 1: 49 left in the third period. And just 13 seconds before the final quarter, a brilliant passing sequence featuring Pat Jackson-to-Morris-to-Dougherty, capped Loyola's 4-0 run and a five -goal quarter.

'We thought we had control then, but a couple of balls just rolled their way in the end,' said Dougherty. 'They were able to stick some key goals, and we couldn't get our offense back to what it was in the third quarter.'

Goals by Loyola's Nick Weisser and Tyler Brawner tied the game at 8 with 10: 32 left. But DeVries matched a goal by the Dons'

Seth Meiller before Gilman's Brandon Cornes and Loyola's Jackson each scored to make it 10-all with 2: 40 remaining.

'It was a gut-check after the third quarter,' said Gilman defender Packer Rogers, whose team shut out St. Mary's, 2-0, in the third period of Tuesday's 13 -8 loss. 'We wanted to show that St. Mary's was a fluke, and we're a team to be reckond with.'

The conditions, said Loyola coach Joe McFadden, virtually forced him to scrap his skill-based strategy.

'We wanted to bring the ball down and play it from behind the goal, but were limited to isolated spurts on offense,' McFadden said. 'Our runs were hindered by the quagmire, and we couldn't maintain any consistency. Gilman took advantage on transition with good hustling, where we had some mental breakdowns.'

Gilman coach John Tucker likened this year's start to last year's when the Greyhounds lost their opener to St. Paul's before winning in the final seconds against St. Mary's.

'We've got a long way to go, but we're getting better and we have a great group,' Tucker said.

Pub Date: 3/29/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.