St. Mary's sets fast pace, leaves Gilman behind, 13-8 No. 1 Saints find net on 8 of their first 9 shots

March 27, 1996|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Top-ranked St. Mary's steam-rolled into yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association opener against two-time defending champ Gilman.

The Saints (4-0, 1-0 league) had hammered three previous opponents, including defending 3A-4A state champ Arundel, by a combined 35-5, and yet again set a blistering pace. Senior attackman Danny Marohl (two goals, five assists) and junior attackman Josh White (five goals) staked the visitors to a 12-6 halftime lead on the way to a 13-8 victory.

"Danny's been on the team for four years and said he'd never beaten Gilman, and we knew we were on fire when the first five shots went in," said White. "Our team didn't show any weaknesses today."

The Saints' eye-popping stats support White's assessment. They converted eight of the first nine shots for an 8-5 lead with 9: 53 left in the second period. And nine of the 13 goals were assisted, with midfielder Brian LaChapelle scoring three times, and Ron Metzbower, Jamison Mullen and Marcus LaChapelle each contributing a goal and an assist.

All 12 of the Saints' second-period shots were on goal, with five finding the nets, and the other seven -- including three straight -- being stopped by keeper Brian Nottingham (11 saves).

"We shot very well in the first half and showed nice stick-handling," said St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead.

"I was also proud of our kids' adjustment after the third period when the momentum shifted toward Gilman. Jon Cline, Brian Kingsbury, Zach Burke, John Horrigan [12 saves] -- our team defense was smarter with its slides."

Gilman (2-1, 0-1) shot 1-for-5 in the second quarter, but shut out St. Mary's, 2-0, in the third with goals by Keith Baker and Lawson DeVries, as Nottingham stopped three St. Mary's shots.

"We played a sagging man-to-man early, and they tore us apart, so we switched to a zone to stop the bleeding," said Gilman coach John Tucker.

Gilman's second-team All-Metro attackman Chase Martin had four first-half goals, and Alex Lieske and Ben Lucas got the others. But the Saints' offense controlled the ball for over eight minutes in the fourth period, and Marohl fed Brian LaChapelle for the final goal with 1: 11 left.

"We pressured more and had a real good second half," Tucker said. "But St. Mary's played like they wanted to remain No. 1."

Pub Date: 3/27/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.