Man accused of abduction, rape of teen ordered held without bond

March 27, 1996|By Caitlin Francke and Ed Heard | Caitlin Francke and Ed Heard,SUN STAFF

With two felony convictions and almost a decade of jail in Timothy Chase's past, his in-laws were wary of him. So they didn't balk at reporting to police their fears that the 28-year-old may have raped a teen-ager in Columbia last Wednesday night.

Family members said yesterday that they were suspicious when Mr. Chase, of west Columbia's Harper's Choice village, suddenly turned up with dirty clothes and some pieces of gold jewelry last Wednesday. Then they noticed he looked like the suspected rapist represented in an artist's sketch released by police later in the week.

Mr. Chase, who lived with his wife in the same townhouse community and worked nearby as a janitor at the Howard County General Hospital, was ordered held without bond yesterday morning after a hearing in Howard County District Court.

"We never liked him," Agnes Wilson, the grandmother of Mr. Chase's wife, Vanessa, said yesterday at her townhouse in the Waverly Winds development. "I hope he gets life."

He was charged late Monday night with first-degree rape, a first-degree sex offense, robbery, theft, two counts of kidnapping, two counts of false imprisonment and three counts of assault. The charges could bring him a life sentence.

The alleged rape was reported by a 15-year-old girl and her 7-year-old-sister who said they were abducted by a man while they were waiting for their mother to pick them up outside the county central library in downtown Columbia -- shortly after the library had closed for the evening.

Mr. Chase's arrest followed a call to police from a cousin of Mr. Chase's wife -- a call reporting the family's suspicions about him, according to court records.

Pub Date: 3/27/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.