New charges filed against killing suspect Brown charged in sex abuse of 3 other boys

Police review his diary

20 counts accuse him of assaulting youths at knifepoint

March 27, 1996|By Peter Hermann | Peter Hermann,SUN STAFF

A man accused of killing two Baltimore youths was charged yesterday with sexually abusing three other boys while he lived at the Flag House Courts public housing high-rise between July and January.

Shawn E. Brown, who is being held without bail at the Baltimore City Detention Center on the murder counts, now faces 20 additional charges, including sex offenses, battery, kidnapping and using a deadly weapon.

Police said their investigation is continuing. They have not ruled out finding other slaying or abuse victims. A diary kept by Mr. Brown is being reviewed by homicide detectives.

A police spokesman said Mr. Brown -- once described by a judge as "a time bomb waiting to go off" -- befriended the three boys, 6, 13 and 14 years old. Mr. Brown is accused of luring them into a residence near Flag House Courts or into his sister's apartment in the high-rise.

There, police charged yesterday, the children were sexually assaulted at knifepoint. None reported the alleged attacks; police said they found the victims while investigating the case. "Quite clearly, all of the children were in fear of their lives," said Agent Robert W. Weinhold Jr., a police spokesman.

Earlier this month, police charged Mr. Brown in the slayings of Marvin Douglas Wise Jr., 8, and Obdul Richards, 16. Both were strangled in separate killings. Marvin's body was discovered Feb. 25 in a vacant apartment; the Richards youth's body was found in a boarded-up school March 1.

Mr. Brown served nine years in a New York prison for nearly strangling a 10-year-old Syracuse boy in 1986, an attack that followed a near-strangulation of a 7-year-old boy.

At the time, Mr. Brown, who had run away from a Johns Hopkins Hospital psychiatric ward in Baltimore, said in a confession that an alter ego named Philip LaBrought ordered him to molest young boys.

After being released from prison last summer -- New York authorities said that he served the entirety of his sentence earlier this month, Mr. Brown declared his innocence and said he "loved" one of the boys he is accused of strangling.

Police yesterday would not release much information on the latest charges, saying the details could jeopardize other cases. They also would not comment on what Mr. Brown wrote in his diary.

"We have not ruled out that there may be more deceased victims, or abuse victims, but we have nothing to substantiate it thus far," Agent Weinhold said.

Pub Date: 3/27/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.