No. 8 Loyola gets stuck with 13-12 loss to No. 4 Brown Bears' equipment challenge leaves Greyhounds puzzled

March 24, 1996|By Scott Pianowski | Scott Pianowski,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Go ahead, watch every lacrosse game you can for the next decade. Here's betting you won't find a finish more bizarre than this one.

Eighth-ranked Loyola and No. 4 Brown got a refresher course in the rules of lacrosse yesterday when they met at Brown Stadium. It's not clear who won the argument, but the Bears won the game, 13-12, before a small crowd that braved the cold and wind.

Chris Georgalas had three goals, and Brian Duffy had a goal and three assists for the Greyhounds (2-2), but the talk after the game wasn't of goals or saves or hits. Rather, the conversation centered on Jamie Hanford's stick and David Evans' helmet.

With 29 seconds left in the game, Brown (4-1) was clinging to a one-goal lead after a score by Loyola's Duffy.

With a faceoff looming at midfield the game was delayed after Brown said Hanford was using an illegal stick. Officials agreed and Hanford was slapped with a three-minute penalty.

"One of my faceoff men pointed it out to me early in the game," said Brown coach Peter Lasagna. "I figured I'd wait for an opportune time to bring it up. This was an opportune time, so I mentioned it to an official."

Somewhat stunned by that move, Loyola decided to challenge the helmet of Brown's Evans. That, too, turned out to be bogus, and Evans was tagged with an illegal procedure penalty. It gave the Greyhounds automatic possession of the ball.

But it didn't help, as Loyola was unable to get a shot on the Brown goal. Mark Frye controlled the ball behind the Bears' net for the final eight seconds, but he was unable to find an open teammate in front, and his desperation pass deflected off the back of the goal and dribbled away as the horn sounded.

"This is the toughest loss of any of them in the four years I have been here," said Loyola senior defenseman Brendan Fry. "You like to see what happens on the field determine who wins. But I can't say enough about the guys on this team, how we battled back."

Fry had reason to be drained, excelling on defense all afternoon. Fry, Hanford, Chris Lloyd and company held Evans, a 1995 first-team All-American at attack, to one goal.

Greyhounds coach Dave Cottle was baffled by the bizarre ending. "In 15 years, I have never seen anything like it, I've never questioned a stick. We only mentioned the helmet because we felt we had no choice," he said.

Pub Date: 3/24/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.