Wake's Odom says his T set up Kentucky for KO Coach's first-half foul figures in Wildcats run

March 24, 1996|By FROM STAFF REPORTS Sun staff writers Don Markus, Paul McMullen and Ken Murray contributed to this article.

Wake Forest coach Dave Odom wouldn't talk about what precipitated his first technical foul of the season, but he realized it didn't help his team in its 83-63 loss to Kentucky yesterday in Minneapolis.

"Points against Kentucky are too hard to come by without that kind of thing," he said. "I'm not one of those who tries to get them. My thoughts on those things will be channeled to the right parties, and I do have some thoughts. They may not care, but they will hear them."

The technical was instrumental in a six-point Kentucky run just before halftime.

The coach said the Wildcats' defense is so aggressive and relentless that officials grow tired of calling fouls.

Kentucky's philosophy, Odom said, "is we've got more fouls to give than the refs have peas in their whistles."

In a statement released by the NCAA, referee Jim Burr said of the Odom technical: "I had warned Coach Odom earlier in the game to stop refereeing and coach. I decided that he protested well beyond what I considered acceptable."

Hollywood minute

As Donta Bright was getting ready to head to the locker room after Massachusetts' 86-62 destruction of Georgetown, he spied director Spike Lee behind the Hoyas' bench.

Bright took off his UMass jersey, and jokingly tried to give it to the film director who is one of John Thompson's biggest fans.

"He [Lee] was wearing a Georgetown jersey, and I told him he had the wrong shirt on," said Bright, the senior forward from Dunbar. "I gave him mine, but then I took it back, told him I'd send him another one."

Sore points

The point guards in the Southeast Regional final were among the walking wounded yesterday. Mississippi State's Marcus Bullard injured his right elbow in Friday's 60-55 victory over Connecticut, and Cincinnati's Keith LeGree sprained his foot in an 87-70 romp over Georgia Tech.

Both players said they expect to play today, however.

"I'll still take my shots," said Bullard, who was just 1-for-6 Friday. "I didn't want to shoot today."

Bullard said he may have taken a shot on the elbow in the first half, and it grew stiff at halftime.

"I had so much pain, I couldn't bend my elbow," he said. "But I got some treatment and I'm feeling much better. I'll be ready."

LeGree said he received treatments for his foot, as well, and would be ready to play.

In keeping with the style of play of both teams, the point guards are both physical players. "I'm going to body-up with him and see who's strongest," Bullard said.

Pub Date: 3/24/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.