New-look Loyola opens with bang by turning back Boys' Latin, 8-5 Cummings scores 3 goals to power Dons' victory

March 23, 1996|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Joe McFadden admitted that it was pretty simple coaching Loyola's lacrosse team last season.

"All I would have to say was, 'Give it to the returning All-American and get out of his way.' "

McFadden didn't have any blue-chippers to call on in yesterday's home and MIAA A Conference opener, but it didn't matter. After allowing No. 4 Boys' Latin to tie the score with four third-quarter goals, the no-name Dons dug down deep and came up with an 8-5 victory over a Lakers team that also was hit hard by graduation.

"There have been a lot of comments like, 'Who are these guys?' and 'Were they on the team last year?' and I think a lot of them stepped up and showed what they can do today," said McFadden, who inherited several members from a JV that went undefeated last season. "These guys all played behind some heralded players last year and they went against them every day in practice and I think it paid off today."

One of the few recognizable names, Dave Cummings, led the Dons with three goals. Junior attackman Mike Morris, who played BTC JV last year, recorded a goal and two assists for No. 5 Loyola and sophomore midfield Pat Jackson added a goal and an assist.

Loyola's defense, which held the Lakers scoreless in the first and fourth quarters, got a big boost from junior goalkeeper Pat McGinnis. McGinnis, yet another newcomer, collected 10 saves in his varsity debut.

"We graduated [All-Metro players] Scott Diggs, Tim Hahn and [Brian] Zeller so we really didn't know what was going to happen and our offense just took over," said senior defenseman Todd Maher. "This is a huge win. Anytime you can win the first game of the season, especially against a team like BL, it's a big win."

The win looked like it was going to come easy for the Dons after they ran out to a 4-1 lead in the second quarter following a goal by senior attackman Arthur Price.

The Lakers (2-1, 0-1) took advantage of some unsettled situations in the third quarter and managed to tie the score at 5 when Greg Patchak, a transfer from Calvert Hall, took a feed from defenseman John Glatzel.

Cummings scooped up a loose ball and scored what proved to be the winning goal with 9: 27 left. Jackson picked off a pass and scored an unassisted goal just over a minute later and Brian McLane closed out the scoring with unassisted goal with 7: 20 remaining.

Loyola's untested attack frustrated the Lakers by playing keep-away for nearly four minutes down the stretch.

"The bottom line is we got out-hustled in the fourth quarter," said Lakers coach Bob Shriver, whose team will face conference and divisional rivals Severn and Calvert Hall next week. "We did some good things to get back into the game, but we just didn't do what we had to do at the end. Fortunately, it's March 22nd, it's not May 15th."

Pub Date: 3/23/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.