No. 13 Mount Hebron stops South Carroll, 10-6 Desor's three goals spark Vikings in opener

March 23, 1996|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,STAFF WRITER

Mount Hebron, hoping to return to the state Class 3A-4A final where it lost to Annapolis last season, had to overcome a few unexpected obstacles on the way to a 10-6 lacrosse victory over South Carroll yesterday.

The No. 13-ranked Vikings were without coach Warren Michael, who ruptured a disc in his back during practice last Monday and will be operated on Monday.

The game site was changed from Mount Hebron to Patapsco Middle School, even though the field at Mount Hebron appeared to be in much better shape than the muddy field at Patapsco.

Michael said that the reason the site was changed was equal opportunity. The Mount Hebron girls team wasn't allowed to play its opening game on the main field at Mount Hebron on Thursday, so the boys weren't allowed to use it yesterday.

And it snowed there were flurries early in the game, but a steady snow throughout the fourth quarter.

The Vikings ignored all of the distractions, however, and won their opener on good, old-fashioned fundamentals. They beat the Cavaliers with superior passing, and by winning more groundballs and faceoffs. And Mount Hebron out-shot South Carroll, 31-16.

"We played pretty decent defense, but Mount Hebron has great sticks and moved the ball well," South Carroll coach Jeff Alisaukas said.

After falling behind 8-3 in the third quarter, South Carroll rallied on goals by Jason Weisenborn, Shawn Waters and Mike Rabinovitz to trail 8-6 heading into the final period.

But Mount Hebron's passing skills took over, and Mike McCarthy, who plays on Mount Hebron's second midfield, scored the Vikings' ninth goal with 5: 10 left to play. Jeremy Desor scored the final goal with 40 seconds left.

"They were able to hold the ball on their side most of the fourth quarter," Alisaukas said. "We couldn't get it to our attack. I think our legs weren't fresh after playing Thursday."

South Carroll had beaten Centennial on Thursday, 9-2.

Desor, Mount Hebron's top returning scorer who is headed to Dartmouth next season, scored three goals and had one assist. He scored Mount Hebron's first and last goals.

"We had better depth, better athletes and moved the ball better," Desor said. "But we had a lot of penalties and played sloppily late."

McCarthy and Justin Hanson each scored two goals. Mike Stromberg, Terrence Buckley and James Thomas each scored once.

Mount Hebron assistant coach Sonny Zigler wasn't pleased with his team's defensive play.

"But we didn't panic when they made a comeback," Zigler said. "South Carroll showed they are a quality team by beating Centennial."

Waters led South Carroll with two goals and one assist. Witte scored twice. Rabinovitz and Weisenborn each had an assist to go with their goals.

Pub Date: 3/23/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.