Goodman, Brown sidestep Duke's tough defense, 11-9 Strategy change gets him 4 goals, rattles Blue Devils

March 10, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Brown attackman Alex Goodman has heard all about the brutal reputation of Duke's defense. He has watched the films of the Blue Devils pummeling opponents with hard checks.

And he wanted nothing of it. Goodman, who usually powers past defenders one-on-one for unassisted goals, opted to cut to the goal without the ball as a passing target.

The change in style worked perfectly as Goodman found open seams to score four goals and pace co-No. 7 Brown past No. 9 Duke, 11-9, at Loyola College's Curley Field.

"This is the first time I've had to catch the ball and then score," Goodman said. "We knew they were real bad off the ball and have a tendency to watch the ball."

And Duke literally watched the game slip away.

The Blue Devils (1-2) rallied to within 9-8 with eight minutes remaining in the game when John Fay scored off a pass from Jim Gonnella. Brown won the ensuing faceoff and called timeout.

Immediately following, Bears attackman David Evans posted up Greg Ehrnman and drove in from the left wing. Two other defenders slid to Evans, who fed a wide-open Goodman six yards in front of the goal.

As the rest of the Duke defense failed to react, Goodman had time to wind up and score over goalkeeper Joe Kirmser's right shoulder, raising the lead to 10-8 just 26 seconds after the Blue Devils cut the lead to one goal. Brown attackman Josh Selig then scored a minute later on a diving shot.

"That timeout was to take us from a frightening and unsettled situation," Brown coach Peter Lasagna said. "We wanted to put our best six offensive players on the field and put the ball in David's stick."

In the first quarter, the Blue Devils patiently worked their offense with controlled, perimeter passing. Rolling to the inside of a defender, James Heavey scored from five yards with 3: 20 left in the first to put Duke up, 4-1.

The Bears (2-0) then started to win faceoffs and converted on nearly every possession early in the second quarter. Goodman scored three straight goals to help Brown tie the game 4 1/2 minutes into the second quarter.

After clearing the ball upfield, Brown defenseman Dennis Fitzgibbons hit Robin Prince running down the middle of the field. Prince caught the pass a yard beyond the crease and in one step tossed the ball into the goal, giving the Bears their first lead, 5-4.

Just 47 seconds later, Prince cut to an open area on the right side of the goal and tapped in a pass from Brian McNally. Then 29 seconds later, Christopher DeBiase scored.

In total, Brown rolled off six unanswered goals in a 10-minute span, turning a three-goal deficit into a 7-4 lead 7: 33 before halftime.

"You have to give Brown credit, they were very clever off the ball," Duke coach Mike Pressler said. "It didn't help we were caught ball watching at times."

The Blue Devils had their chances: They outshot the Bears, 46-30, and had nine extra-man opportunities. But Duke, which scored in just one man-up situation, couldn't beat the quick stick-saving ability of Brown junior goalkeeper Greg Cattrano (19 saves), who shut the Blue Devils out for 19 1/2 minutes including the entire third quarter. After battling for the starting job two weeks ago, Cattrano outshined his All-America Duke counterpart Kirmser.

Pub Date: 3/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.