Rochester tops Thunder on overtime goal, 18-17 Loss hurts Baltimore's drive for MILL playoffs

March 10, 1996|By Bob Chavez | Bob Chavez,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Chris Driscoll's goal 1: 59 into overtime squeezed the Rochester Knight Hawks past the visiting Thunder, 18-17, last night in a Major Indoor Lacrosse League game.

Driscoll's second goal of the game was sweet redemption for the fourth-year player, who twice was called for five-minute roughing majors in the second half.

A sellout crowd of 7,393 witnessed a game in which neither team led by more than three goals.

"We knew coming in that Baltimore had the potential to light it up and they showed it," Rochester coach Barry Powless said.

"It's a huge victory and you can credit it to the character of this team. There were certain points of the game where they had to suck it up."

The Knight Hawks (4-4) hold sole possession of fourth place in the MILL standings and, more importantly, hold the tie-breaking advantage over the Thunder should it be needed.

Baltimore (3-5) took a 17-16 lead on Jeff Klodzen's goal with 4: 25 left in regulation, but Rochester's Matt Riter tied the score and eventually sent the game into overtime with 1: 24 left.

Even taking the game into overtime wasn't easy for the Thunder, which trailed in the third quarter by as many as three goals.

Rochester answered the Thunder's first goal of the second half with four straight for a 15-12 lead.

Helping Rochester gain momentum was goalkeeper Derek Collins, who appeared unbeatable for most of the period. Baltimore finally solved Collins with two goals in the quarter's final 24 seconds to cut the Rochester lead to 15-14.

Baltimore lost the prime power-play opportunity at the start of the fourth. With Rochester's Driscoll serving the first of his two five-minute roughing major, the Thunder was called for too many players on the field.

Rochester's Paul Gait promptly answered with a goal for a 16-14 lead.

Down 5-3 entering the second, Baltimore quickly took control and a 6-5 lead on goals from Chris Gill, Kip Fulks and Brian Kroneberger in the first three minutes of the period. The gritty defense displayed by Baltimore earlier in the game had by then disappeared as both teams went on to combine for 11 more goals by halftime.

Seven players scored for the Thunder in the second period, led by Bob Martino's two goals, one of which was short-handed and the other on a power play.

The first quarter belonged to Rochester, which got two goals Mark Fietta in the first two minutes of the game. Tim Welsh's goal pulled the Thunder to within 4-3 before Rochester's Kam Bomberry scored a power-play goal with 3: 42 left in the quarter.

Both teams were scoreless the rest of the period, led by an outstanding defensive effort by Lindsay Dixon.

Pub Date: 3/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.