Marriott interested in Meridien chain

Maryland Watch

March 09, 1996

Marriott International Inc. and Granada Group PLC of London declined to comment yesterday on a report that Marriott might bid for Granada's Meridien hotel chain.

J. W. Marriott Jr., the Bethesda hotel company's chief executive, was quoted in the French newspaper Les Echos as saying that the company was interested in the Meridien chain and several Exclusive hotels.

"Everything will depend on the final price," Les Echos quoted Mr. Marriott. He said he was waiting for Granada to make "its intentions clear."

The newspaper also reported that Mr. Marriott said his company could integrate Meridien into the four-star Ritz-Carlton brand.

Marriott bought a 49 percent stake in the chain of 31 luxury hotels and has the option to purchase the remaining 51 percent. In addition, it has the rights to manage hotels under the Ritz-Carlton name.

The acquisition of the Meridien chain would help Marriott accelerate its international expansion.

Marriott has said it hopes to double the number of its hotels to 2,000 by the next century.

Pub Date: 3/09/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.