Small fire forces partial evacuation of nursing home

March 05, 1996|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

Firefighters and staff evacuated 34 elderly residents from the first floor of a Southwest Baltimore nursing home last night after a small electrical fire sent smoke through the hallways.

Two 80-year-old female residents of Caton Manor Nursing Center at 3330 Wilkens Ave. were taken across the street to St. Agnes Hospital, where one was treated for smoke inhalation and the other for anxiety, according to Fire Department spokesman Battalion Chief Hector L. Torres.

The other evacuated residents were taken to the dining room, which wasn't affected by the smoke. Many of the center's 170 residents are bedridden and on oxygen. Residents on the other four floors were not affected.

The fire started in an electrical heater in a patient's room shortly after 7 p.m., setting off a fire detector, Chief Torres said. He said 15 pieces of fire aparatus equipment manned by 60 firefighters brought the fire under control at 7: 37 p.m.

Pub Date: 3/05/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.